CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is a pic of the Polish PZL P-7a fighter which was captured in September 1939 and used by Luftwaffe.

source unknown:

Attachments

• captured P-7.jpg
    captured P-7.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,400
How come some of the Japanese insignias have a broad white border around the "Red Ball" and some just display the Red Ball withot the white border?

Japonese markings called "Hinomaru" were painted with a white border from July of 1943 on all dark ( green ) painted surfaces. The white border had always a width of 75 mm and it was of no account how the red Hinomaru was big in diameter.Silver and light grey painted a/cs didn't have Hinomaru with the border.In many cases the technical crews of a unit could paint "Red Ball" without the white border especially when there was lack of white paint.But this is my opinion only.

friend, what is the a/c leading the two B-17's ??

The lead B-17 is a B-17 D. Last model before the larger tail and tailgun emplacement added. the strange nose shown in one of the close-up shots of early B-17 is the Y1B-17, one of 13 service test aircraft. The gun turret on top of the nose glazing was disconntinued in the B-17B with the few YB-17A models having this as well but were still just test models and did not serve overseas. Not sure if the B or C did, except in British Maritime and weather patrols near England. B-17D's were sent to the Phillipines in '41 and it would make the most sense that one of these is what was captured. Info is from "B-17 At War" which I think is long out of print. If anyone knows a source for the whole "At War" series, I'd love to get hold of them again.

Interesting, could the white line around the circle have been to aid recognition of friendly vs hostile aircraft on the dark green aircraft? I will have to find these over the weekend but I have some interesting ones such as captured P-51D Mustangs, and a few B-17 Flying Fortresses that are in German Markings.

Here's a Soviet B.71B glider tug picture in color from the Luftwaffe Im Focus magazine 2003 issue

Attachments

• Capture 5.JPG
    Capture 5.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,446
Yes, I have one like that but it is shown at a different angle but I will have to swipe that one at some stage as with a lot of the other photos.

Photos3 has pics of captured Ju-87's in British markings, including one the site claims the squadron CO used for beer runs, :drinking: now THERE is a truly noble and essential use for a dive bomber! Can you see that happening in this day and age?

Interesting, could the white line around the circle have been to aid recognition of friendly vs hostile aircraft on the dark green aircraft?

For sure, yes.But as memory serves, white colour is always useful for aiming at a target.Even the RAF made the white parts of markings ( fin flashes,roundels) smaller.In Poland,for instance,the Polish white-red squares were painted quite small and non symmetrical on upper surfaces, but on lower ones where they were big the white colour in markings was omitted very often.Many countries gave their markings on upper surfaces of wings up completely ( Russia ).Today ,the low-visibility markings without the white colour are common,aren't they?

Thats the tail of B-24H-5-DT serial number 41-28641 and was used to fly supply missions to the Island of Rhodes in late 1944. Recaptured by US troops at Salzburg Austria.

No, the fuselage looks a bit long there for a Me-262. This photo was a genuine Soviet captured Me-262 and not a copy as far as I am aware. I am sure it was not the Sukhoi.

Can you post it.

Hi Der Adler !!!!

No, the fuselage looks a bit long there for a Me-262. This photo was a genuine Soviet captured Me-262 and not a copy as far as I am aware. I am sure it was not the Sukhoi.

I thought that he could have meant this pic.Though It could be a pic of other Me 262
captured by Russians.
source unknown:

Attachments

• me262_captured USRR.jpg
    me262_captured USRR.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,421

Users who are viewing this thread

Back