Car Door Typhoon 1A/1B question.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

abaddon1

Airman
Mar 21, 2014
For my sins, I am restoring the starboard electrical services panel for the Gloucester Jet Age Museum's Tiffie. It will eventually be displayed in-situ as part of the restored cockpit section. The old girl's identity is unknown, save that she was an early model built by Glosters at Brockworth and was recovered from a scrap yard in Wiltshire several years ago.
Here is a pic of the panel stripped down...
P1010001.JPG

This is the basic starboard electrical panel, with the forward fuel control angled panel and the horizontal shelf removed. For those of a nervous disposition; the angles fore and aft, which attach to the frame tubes are both 63 degrees.
The aft top section was torched off the cockpit section prior to being rescued, and has been renewed in accordance with period RAF alternative repair procedures... however, the original aluminium was so badly age-hardened due to close on seventy years of scrap yard weather exposure that test pieces proved that it is incapable of being welded successfully... hence the rivetting of the new section.
Now, I have just have to establish the mounting and ancillary bracketing of the control box and connector block which attach to this new section. (See photo detail attached).
Typhoon  1B electrical panel  starboard aft.jpg

Any information would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Six weeks later...
The Starboard Electrical Services Panel has finally come together. All the component parts are original and have been restored.
The only items beyond any feasible restoration were the various Legend plates, which had succumbed to environmental destruction (due to being abandoned to the elements in the junk yard and were beyond saving.) They were duly cleaned, and the corrosion pitting was planished out. The legends were then re-created using "Letraset" Dry-rub transfers in Helvetica Medium Condensed 3mm and 5mm white font.
Here's the finished project...
Starboard Electrical Services Panel. Complete..jpg

Now, on to the port panel and throttle box assembly!

Thanks for the compliment!
Planishing means to smooth, toughen, and finish (metal) by hammering lightly... although, in this case, due to age-hardening, bashing the corroded plates with even a small peening hammer (the end of the hammer head opposite the flat face, typically wedge-shaped or rounded) would have caused them to split.
Therefore, it was lots of hard work with fine emery cloth and wire wool! (Doesn't do your fingertips any good at all!)
Just to show you what can be done; here's a pic of the piece of junk (Yes, it's the same one!) that I was given to play with...
Pre-restoration.jpg

Anything's possible if you have a mind to it... and this has cost less than £20 Sterling!

True... But that's what being a volunteer restorer is all about! It's no good just mucking about; the Museum wants exhibition standard.. and wherever feasibly possible... original exhibition standard artifacts... and that's what I try to give them!

OK; and now, for my next trick...
Has anyone any idea what legend is engraved on the plate (Circled) at the top inner corner of the forward port panel inboard of the Starting and Slow-Running Cut-out Control?
Some plonk has taken a wire brush to it at sometime in the past; and the engraving is almost entirely obliterated.
I've scoured the web for a decent pic and have come up empty.
Port Plate.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back