Catch that plane!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Taffd

Recruit
Aug 21, 2007
About me? 52 years old, ex-sailor (10 yrs in the RN), now living in Liverpool.

My father, who served aboard the aircraft carrier HMS Kedive during WW2, used to tell a story of a plane needing to land on the ship, that had no hook to grab onto the arrester cables stretched across the deck.

After much discussion, the problem was solved thus - 'Right, when the plane touches down, we all rush out and grab it. That should work.' - No health and safety issues in them days.

I've put together a slideshow which features a photograph of the incident, along with a few others showing 'Crash on deck'. It can be viewed at myverdict, an exercise in Direct Democracy. I enclose one of them here.

The photos in the slideshow at myverdict, an exercise in Direct Democracy were taken in the Far East, in 1945. There is some more memorabilia that I intend to post. I am currently putting together another slideshow which will show, among other things, some signals received by the Khedive, informing the crew of the end of hostilities against the Japanese. It will take a few days before they're posted.

My father was a bit of a crooner, in the Bing Crosby mode and used to do shows for the troops.

One story he told still brings tears to my eyes. They were giving a concert for the prisoners-of-war, from Changi. So traumatised were these men, that, after the concert, they went back into Changi, seeking some comfort in the familiar, that was that hellhole.

I recently received an email from an American, telling me that his father had been repatriated via Singapore and may well have been at that concert.

My only regret is that I was unable to complete the slideshow while my father was still alive. He died in July, so this was a bit of a memorial for him. I may do a bio of him and his service and post that aswell.

Attachments

• Going.jpg
    Going.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 249
Taffd, that is a great little slideshow. Love the narration. I would say that the man-ual breaking could only be done with that type of aircraft. Anything else would've been suicide!

Welcome to the forum Taffd.

The slideshows are brilliant, in the War Memories part 2 you have a picture titled 'I have no idea what type of planes these are' of 11 aircraft with all engines running ready for a mass take off.

These, to the best of my knowledge, are Westland Wyvern S.4's.

Regards,

John.

I have just found out that these planes are indeed Westland Wyverns. It appears from the markings that they belong to 827 squadron and that the photo was taken aboard HMS Eagle, in 1955.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back