Classic Aircraft Walkarounds by nuuumannn

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys,

Borrowing Jeff Hunt's idea of a thread dedicated to photographs on particular subjects he's taken, I thought I'd start my own. Like many of you, detail fascinates me and I enjoy getting close to historic and classic aircraft (not just warbirds) and I thought I might share photographs of some of these that I have taken over the years with you. I'll be posting detailed shots of different aircraft at different times, with no concessions to regularity or frequency, so keep an eye out. The majority of the images I'll be posting will be scans of photographs, so will not be the best quality. So without further ado, welcome to my walkaround thread.

This first subject is one that is of particular interest to me and I have spent considerable time examining and researching this aircraft. It's one that needs little introduction and appears on this forum often; the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet. I chose this aircraft to be my first subject, because last year I put up a few images of the Me 163's cockpit on a thread and promised I would put more. Forum member T Bird (Glenn) expressed an interest, but to date I've yet to do so, so, here you go, Glenn - I've finally gotten a round tuit (what is a round tuit? It's a device you need in order to do what you said you would!)

These images are of four surviving Komets, the majority of them being of Me 163B-1a Wk Nr 191659 in Scotland. The other aircraft are 191904 in Berlin, 191316 in London and "120370" in Munich.

Side views; 191659 top and 191904 bottom.

191659I.jpg

191904I.jpg

Nose; the hole just above the skid is the tow cable attach point.

FuselageNoseI.jpg

FuselageNoseII.jpg

FuselageNoseIII.jpg

Tail.

FuselageEmpennage.jpg

FuselageRudder.jpg

Exhaust.

FuselageExhaust.jpg

Trestle point on LH underside forward of tail wheel. The hole is a lifting point.

FuselageTrestle.jpg

Fuel drains from RH side looking forward.

FuselageFuelDrains.jpg

RH lower gun access.

FuselageGunPanel.jpg

LH gun port.

FuselageGunPort.jpg

LH fuselage filling point under cockpit. Compressed air at 130 atu pressure and hydraulic fluid.

FuselageFillingPoint.jpg

Ground power point RH nose.

FuselageGroundPower.jpg

Radio aerial.

FuselageAerial.jpg

Ammunition storage from RH looking forward, 60 rounds per gun.

FuselageAmmo.jpg

T-Stoff refuel door.

FuselageFuelAccessII.jpg

C-Stoff refuel access RH.

FuselageFuelAccessI.jpg

RH engine inspection door.

FuselageEngineAccess.jpg

Powerplant was one Walther HWK-109-509A bi-propellant rocket motor. This particular motor is unique; although an it is an HWK 109-509A2 variant, it is a ground test example only and is fitted with a non-standard T-stoff cooling system. Note the large duct protruding downwards from the motor section.

PowerplantII.jpg

The thrust chamber.

PowerplantI.jpg

Next, wings, wheels and cockpit.

:)

Last edited:
No, I opened them myself. The pics of 191659 were not taken all at the same time. I like the design of the door latch system - in the shape of a swastika, although I suspect that was unintentional.

East Fortune has a terrific collection and is often overlooked in the UK in favour of bigger and better known places and its also located on a largely complete WW1 and WW2 airfield, although you can't get access to the whole site, unfortunately.

Great idea and photos Grant!

If you don't mind me posting here, these are mine of the Deutsches Technisches Museum (now just 'Deutsches Museum') example in Münich, W.nr. 120370. Pics taken 1998.

STA52534.JPG

STA52536.JPG

STA52537.JPG

STA52538.JPG

Thanks Grant, I really must try to get there either later this year, or next Spring (for 'Spring', read a slight change to winter, before winter returns for another 10 months!)
Here's the Cosford example, with it's armament.

Attachments

• Cosford 127.jpg
    Cosford 127.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Cosford 128.jpg
    Cosford 128.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 207
My GB 19 build subject is sitting behind her too

You entered that Lincoln into the modelling contest, Evan? I hope you won! :D

Terry, I remember Cosford's Komet in its ugly previous scheme with its Duck Egg Green undersides; it looks pretty good now.

Crimea, as far as I know, there's only two in Germany, the one at the Deutches Museum in Munich and 191904 at the Luftwaffen Museum at Gatow, Berlin. That one was presented to the German government by the British; it's a former Air Historic Branch airframe and was at St Athan before going to Germany. The Deutches Museum got theirs from the British in 1964. The one that Jeff posted is still in Ottowa.

The Deutches Museum's Komet.

WingsTop.jpg

The Komet's wings were made of plywood; this is an inspection door for the flap extension pushrods on the top surface of the wing.

WingsAccessPanel.jpg

Underside of RH wing showing flaps extended.

WingsAirBrake.jpg

Underside of RH fabric control surface, note the drain holes.

WingsControls.jpg

LH wing underside, aerial is for FuG 25a and strake is a fairing covering a fuel line.

WingsUnderside.jpg

Undersurface of LH wing showing fixed slats.

WingsSlats.jpg

Undercarriage; main wheel.

UndercarriageWheel.jpg

Extended skid on 191316.

UndercarriageSkid.jpg

Tailwheel.

UndercarriageTailwheelII.jpg

Cockpit canopy, note the armoured glass.

CockpitArmour.jpg

Head rest and T Stoff fuel lines.

CockpitHeadrest.jpg

Seat.

CockpitSeat.jpg

Cockpir RH side showing oxgen supply (painted blue) and electrical switching box. Note the proximity of the T Stoff tank and its finish.

CockpitRH.jpg

Control column.

CockpitJoystick.jpg

RH intruments; the red light is marked 'Machwarnung'; it illuminates as the aircraft approaches critical speeds, the two gauges below it are thrust indicator and fuel consumption, blue instruments are oxygen quantity, flow and regulator.

CockpitInstrumentsII.jpg

Messerschmitt embossed bakelite (plastic) rudder pedals.

CockpitPedals.jpg

Instrument panel from L to R; the vertical indicators display rounds left, the switch box is control for FuG 25a, firing safety switch, basic six L to R; altimeter, turn and slip, vertical speed, airspeed, % RPM counter, engine temperature. Red button at left is electrical switch of some sort.

CockpitInstrumentsI.jpg

LH console; 'B4' is power lever, press button is starter, upper red 'T' handle is undercarriage jettison, red handle is fuel jettison, black lever is canopy lock, circular handled lever is skid undercarriage lowering, red lever is canopy jettison, lower red 'T' handle is tow cable release.

CockpitLevers.jpg

LH side cockpit, trim wheel prominent.

CockpitLH.jpg

Flap levers; wobble pump fwd and selection 'D'; shaped switch aft.

CockpitPumps.jpg

Well, that's it for the Me 163 from me; 'Wie ein Floh aber Oho!" See you next time.

:)

Last edited:
You entered that Lincoln into the modelling contest, Evan? I hope you won! :D

:lol:

You know a competition's rigged if the real thing dosen't win! :)
(That should have read GB 18 too, losing track of the build numbers!)

As for the shots, SUPERB!!!! ... when was the DTM bird on the deck, btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back