Cliffs of Dover

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi all i was just wondering if Il2: Cliffs of Dover is any good. I have seen the screen shots and it looks darn good, Another reason for me is i like the battle of Briton. BUT i have also read it has a lot of bugs and glitches, and a good computer ( no problem).

P.S is it also true that you can walk around the airbase in your customised pilot:?:

Hi all i was just wondering if Il2: Cliffs of Dover is any good. I have seen the screen shots and it looks darn good, Another reason for me is i like the battle of Briton. BUT i have also read it has a lot of bugs and glitches, and a good computer ( no problem).

P.S is it also true that you can walk around the airbase in your customised pilot:?:

It depends what you mean by "any good". With the latest patches, most of the original performance issues have been resolved. You still need a good computer to see all the eyecandy. I have an i5/GX580 and I get good fps on the highest settings.

As a pure WW2 combat flight sim, the COD is great. Visuals are outstanding and you have a lot of flexibility to go to insane engine management detail that really shows how hard flying a high-performance WW2 fighter without burning up the engine was. Cockpits are to die for and they are clickable (at least partially). However, only relatively few planes are flyable and it's even short on AI-controlled planes.

Where COD suffers is as a "game". There is no meaningful campaign mode, which to me basically defeats the purpose of a Battle of Britain game. There are "campaigns", but the one for the RAF is a silly scripted story that poorly connects individual missions. The German campaign is a set of historical missions that is not character driven. I don't see much replay value, either. There are only a few single missions, and with the limited suite of planes available the quick mission generator is nowhere as good as the original IL-2. Once you've tried every combination of a few planes, there's not much new. The FMB is very similar to that in IL2 and may be a saving grace.

A final note. Although Il2 1946 is by far a better package all way around, it's hard to go back to it after sitting in a photorealistic COD cockpit with the shadows from the canopy frame flitting about. That's too bad. In a way, COD ruined my appreciation for both games.

Final final note: If there is a way to walk around in your spiffy customized pilot, I haven't figured it out!

Last edited:
Hi Boomerang4981
All depends on the rig you have and the latest Patches.
A High Spec machine should run this game with few probs but the Devs still need to iron out a few Glitches ie:pre-Weathered Hardcoded Skin Overlays.
As Zoomar says IL-2 1946 is fantastic and a hard game to beat BUT when you have used CLoD with its far superior Graphics and Damage Engine
then going back to IL-2 1946 seems like a step backward [in relation to Eye Candy anyway] saying that IL-2 1946 is a far more well established game with a larger Theatre of War
selection and less Glitches and Higher Frps,but in the early Days IL-2 1946 was like CLoD with teething problems But after many Patches and Mods it has become the Great game it is Today.
I am confident CLoD has the same potential so long as the Devs and Modders stick with it.
I have posted some Screenies to give you an Idea of how good the visual Eye Candy is in CLoD so you can draw your own conclusions.
(Note...The skins shown are Not default but ones I have made and are available to Download from here http://www.cliffsofdover.fr/ )
Regards
Keith:wave:
JU88A-13ZELIIIKG772.jpg

4DDC_IIKG30.jpg

BROTHERSMk-IHurricane.jpg

He-111NightBomberScreenie2.jpg

MeBf-110GntherSpechtU8BBofIII_ZG262-1.jpg

Ju-87B-2StukaT6KN.jpg

HurricaneMk-IXR_DEagleSquadron.jpg

HurricaneMk-IXR_DEagleSquadron2.jpg

HurricaneMk-IXR_TEagleSquadron.jpg

He-111P-2G1HP6KG55-1.jpg

WellingtonMk-1cGermanmarkings.jpg

311CZECHSQUADRONSCREENIE.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad, but probably inevitable. Ubisoft released the game in a completely unready state and the Russian Devs never seemed to have the time or inclination to fix it in the critical first few years. Also, even in its final release (in which most of the performance problems were fixed) it is not the game that Il2 is. The single-player campaign is almost useless, and (unlike Il-2) the quick mission generator is far too limiting.

I've heard that the franchise is not completely dead, though, and that the Eastern Front "Battle of Stalingrad" update originally planned for the CLOD engine will now be developed in collaboration with 777 Studios, the makers of the WW1 sim Rise of Flight. Like RoF, the game will be offered free-to-play with a limited number of flyable planes and campaigns, with additional content available for online purchase. I think this is very good news and an excellent sales model. The ROF engine is as visually impressive, if not more so, than CLOD, and the FM and DM is also excellent. It will certainly have to be tweaked to capture WW2 altitudes, ranges, and so forth, but I don't see why this would be impossible. Also, based on how they have handled RoF since taking it over, 777 Studios will probably be much more willing and able to improve and update the game in response to gamer input, which suggests it will be a much more usable product from the start than CLOD.

I've seen this site, which looks as though it's dedicated to the Battle of Stalingrad. I know people who bought and tried to play Cliffs of Dover and were very disappointed.

I've seen this site, which looks as though it's dedicated to the Battle of Stalingrad. I know people who bought and tried to play Cliffs of Dover and were very disappointed.
Two different projects. Battle over Stalingrad will have several of the members of the Cliffs of Dover team on their project though.
This "What we know" thread by Sim will cover a lot of what is know about the project at the moment.
What we know: http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/topic/146-what-we-know-so-far-battle-of-stalingrad/

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back