“Clock” on the instrument panel of Spitfires, various Mks? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The fact remains though that the Lanc has a clip on the upper left of the main panel. The cockpit guide says it is for the "Pilot's stopwatch".

The fact remains though that the Lanc has a clip on the upper left of the main panel. The cockpit guide says it is for the "Pilot's stopwatch".
See post 19. "Pilots and Flight Engineer notes for Lancasters MkI, III and X. Air Publication 2062 A, C and F. Pages 51 and 52. item #42, "Watch Holder." upper left on the Panel."

I would be interested in the WWII reference you have that identifies it as "Pilot's stopwatch".

As I am currently building a 3D virtual model of the Lancaster, I have most of the original POHs and other technical manuals.. I'll look out some shots for you.
In the meantime here's a description of one of these watches that was for sale recently - an Air Ministry 6B/ 221 Stopwatch that fits into the receptacle on the main panel.
" The watch would have been used in aircrafts such as the Lancaster bomber and was used for navigational purposes and for accurate timings during a bombing run. It would also act as a useful backup for the pilot as a timer in the event that other instruments were put out of action."

Here's a shot of the stopwatch in its rubber holder mounted to the panel.You can see the arrangement in the panel shot. Just above the beam approach gauge.

Attachments

• lancwatch.jpg
    lancwatch.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Avro_Lancaster_Instrument_Panel.jpg
    Avro_Lancaster_Instrument_Panel.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Here's a shot of the stopwatch in its rubber holder mounted to the panel.You can see the arrangement in the panel shot. Just above the beam approach gauge.
Very interesting! I stand corrected! I apologize for my intransigence however I needed more than arm waving. Where is that display? I'd be interested In the serial number from whence it came.

Thank you!:)

Jim

Detail accompanying shot. Was taken 13 years ago apparently.
Photo taken at the Elsham Wolds Association Memorial Room in the Anglian Water plant on heritage open day 2010. The memorial room was set up as a tribute to the airmen who lost their lives while flying from Elsham in World War II. It contains RAF items including uniforms, medals and many other wartime artefacts. www.rafelshamwolds.com/ The four big red buttons on the panel(lower right) are feathering switches.

As a casual visitor here, I love the way an original question can morph into something very different. It's a great way to learn about the interconnectedness of so many things you'd never expect!

I might have a simple answer to the main question about clocks in spitfires. i was told many years ago by a military collector a early mark spitfire ie pre war, had top of the range clocks in the cockpit ie smiths time of trip etc, in a year after war started they did away with these clocks and put in a simple one, next the government made the decision clocks were not fitted in later marks of spitfires ?, and the RAF issued pilots with wristwatches, some even with the USA made A-11 watches, i have seen these with RAF store codes on 6A/ .because if you think about it as the collector said, a plane goes up, on one flight and the aircraft crashes or is shot down end of clock, therefore the RAF issued a watch to the pilot and navigator and it stands a better chance of being put to use again.
a bit like the USA army air corp giving there pilots the A-11 wristwatch, and the navigator the AN 5740 pocket watch, which was called a Watch-Navigation-Master
and was placed in the aircraft in a case shockproof with springs inside this case, on return of the mission watches were returned to stores to be issued on the next mission.

Last edited:
.... .because if you think about it as the collector said, a plane goes up, on one flight and the aircraft crashes or is shot down end of clock, therefore the RAF issued a watch to the pilot and navigator and it stands a better chance of being put to use again.
I fail to see the reasoning of this. When a plane goes down, you lose a lot more than a clock. What's so special about a clock?

I fail to see the reasoning of this. When a plane goes down, you lose a lot more than a clock. What's so special about a clock?

more money, precision clocks are expensive if pilot survives the clock will and besides that a wristwatch is a lot lighter

more money, precision clocks are expensive if pilot survives the clock will and besides that a wristwatch is a lot lighter
Thanks for the reply, a Smiths time of trip clock, with a precision movement made by Jaeger Le Coulter cost a lot more that a wristwatch does, again keep it simple, the pilot parachutes out, end of plane and clock, the wristwatch is saved for another day.

Wearing a flight suit, gloves and a leather jacket makes accessing a wristwatch near impossible. It takes your other hand to move the heavy leather out of the way, which means you are hands off the controls.

The RAF purchased pilots watches from 1940 onward, and engraved its own part number 6B/159 at this time. Open ended leather straps were also fitted prior to issue. Photos are an early example of the Longines watches issued to, predominantly, Navigators due to their superior quality and accuracy, but no doubt on occasions to Pilots as well. Of particular importance are the originally engraved markings on the case back, A.M. (Air Ministry) 6B/159 (RAF stores Reference) 9845/42 (date).. how long were the German pilots watch straps ? . last photo a navy man with a nice watch with a bonklip metal strap. found on the www.

Attachments

• 1942-raf-longines-wristwatch-6b-159_56157_pic3_size4.jpg
    1942-raf-longines-wristwatch-6b-159_56157_pic3_size4.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1942-raf-longines-wristwatch-6b-159_56157_pic2_size4.jpg
    1942-raf-longines-wristwatch-6b-159_56157_pic2_size4.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1942-raf-longines-wristwatch-6b-159_56157_pic8_size4.jpg
    1942-raf-longines-wristwatch-6b-159_56157_pic8_size4.jpg
    785.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 9B8D3588-23D0-4465-B6EE-347234FD4A0B-scaled.jpeg
    9B8D3588-23D0-4465-B6EE-347234FD4A0B-scaled.jpeg
    949.6 KB · Views: 14
The RAF purchased pilots watches from 1940 onward, and engraved its own part number 6B/159 at this time. Open ended leather straps were also fitted prior to issue. Photos are an early example of the Longines watches issued to, predominantly, Navigators due to their superior quality and accuracy, but no doubt on occasions to Pilots as well. Of particular importance are the originally engraved markings on the case back, A.M. (Air Ministry) 6B/159 (RAF stores Reference) 9845/42 (date).. how long were the German pilots watch straps ? . last photo a navy man with a nice watch with a bonklip metal strap. found on the www.
If memory serves, that's like the watch dad had. I thought it had a black face, but perhaps I'm wrong. I have no idea where the watch is now.

Jim.

Wearing a flight suit, gloves and a leather jacket makes accessing a wristwatch near impossible. It takes your other hand to move the heavy leather out of the way, which means you are hands off the controls.
Gumbyk: What's the story of your Tiger Schmitt avatar? My father's favourite aircraft.

Jim

Last edited:
That's what dad affectionately called them. Dad had well over 1,000 hours on them. He was an instructor at the ETFS at Fairoaks. I think one or two of the Fairoaks aircraft are still flying.

Dad in a Tiger moth, Brandon Manitoba, 1941.

Dad Tiger Moth.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back