CO of USS The Sullivans Relieved of Command

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
CO of USS The Sullivans Relieved

May 20, 2010 Navy News

MANAMA, Bahrain - The commanding officer of the Mayport-based destroyer USS The Sullivans [DDG 68], Cmdr. Neil Funtanilla, was relieved of command by Commander, Combined Task Force (CTF) 50, Rear Adm. Phil Davidson, due to loss of confidence, following an Admiral's Mast.

The Non-Judicial Punishment (NJP) proceedings were convened to address allegations that Funtanilla was derelict in the performance of his duties during an inbound transit to the port of Bahrain, when his ship collided with a buoy.

The misjudgments associated with this incident called into question Funtanilla's ability to continue to effectively and safely lead his command. As a result, he was relieved due to loss of confidence.

Cmdr. Robert Cepek, the Surface Operations Officer for CTF 50, will temporarily command USS The Sullivans until a permanent replacement is named.

Funtanilla, who took command of the ship in August 2009, has been temporarily reassigned to administrative duties at U.S. Naval Forces Central Command.

Another skipper bites the dust....

Charles

Yeah I think that was it and what about the Hawaii accident where they rammed the Japanese ship during a practice emergency surface? What happened to those commanders? I don't recall reading about the final outcome. I can't imagine it was good.

Sonar would've told him there was something there. As for the skipper who surfaced under the Japanese boat, I think he was scapegoated and relieved of command. Periscopes don't look upwards, and an emergency blow comes up at a pretty steep angle....very easy for a small ship to be in the blind-spot and unlucky enough to be occupying the same piece of surface that the sub wants to use...

Ummmm....yeah. And exactly how fast do you think a sub can go underwater? It can't outrun soundwaves.

Faster you go, the less clear the sound is. But that is considering the sonar being in active mode, which most subs (and ships) usually don't use. The majority of the sonar work is done with passive sonar. That just listens. If the thing isn't making any noise (and sea mounts tend to be very quiet, like mountains on dry land) then they won't hear it.

And the sub won't use active sonar if there is no reason. Subs like to be quiet, it's the advantage they least like to lose. Flip on the active sonar and it's like turning on a flashlight in a dark room full of people. Everybody know where you are, usually who you are too. No problem if all the people in the room are friends and expect the flashlight. Not good if some (or all) of the people aren't always of the same perspective as you.

Faster you go, the less clear the sound is. But that is considering the sonar being in active mode, which most subs (and ships) usually don't use. The majority of the sonar work is done with passive sonar. That just listens. If the thing isn't making any noise (and sea mounts tend to be very quiet, like mountains on dry land) then they won't hear it.

And the sub won't use active sonar if there is no reason. Subs like to be quiet, it's the advantage they least like to lose. Flip on the active sonar and it's like turning on a flashlight in a dark room full of people. Everybody know where you are, usually who you are too. No problem if all the people in the room are friends and expect the flashlight. Not good if some (or all) of the people aren't always of the same perspective as you.

I know. I served on three. They also have a terrain-mapping sonar that scans the floor. I've been on watch in the control room when we had to make a slight detour due to a rise in ocean floor that "may have been" a mountain. We didn't stick around to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back