Coastal Command PBY Catalina....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On 20 August 1943, F/Lt L.O. Barnett in a Catalina Ib, FP126/C of a No. 259 Squadron RAF detachment operating out of St. Lucia, Natal (South Africa), attacked U-197 in position 2840S 4236E (approx. 230 NM southwest of Cap Sainte Marie, Madagascar) with 6x250 lb. depth charges that damaged the boat to the extent is was unable to dive. F/Lt. Barlett stayed with the u-boat several hours until another St. Lucia-based Catalina 1b arrived on the scene, this being FP313/N of No. 265 Suadron RAF, piloted by F/O C.E. Robin, who attacked the crippled boat with 6x250 lb. depth charges that straddled U-197 and sank her with all hands...

Loving the info on RAF Catalinas. My late father was a flight sergeant wom/ag with the special duties flight of 240 squadron at Red Hills Lake, Madras. The main aircraft he flew in were FP304, FX311 and W8405, the former was struck off charge in April 1945 after returning, badly damaged, from an SD op in the gulf of siam. The skipper, F/Lt Turnbull, was decorated for getting [this is what I was given to understand] the aircraft airborne in a too large swell having been caught on water by a patrol boat and returned to base.

Dad noted W8405 as a 1a, "a stripped Cat with VLR tanks." I have a photo of her at her mooring trot somewhere. I only found out this month, that there was OSS involvement in the operations they carried out in Burma, the Andamans and Siam, I know that Dad did not talk about his war much, he died 40 years ago, and Mum once told me that some of the stuff they did was very "hush hush".

I have his log books and have purchased some squadron ORBs which are interesting but do not tell me much.

My late father was a WOM/AG Flt Sgt with the special duties flight of 240 based at Redhills Lake, Madras 1944-45. According to his log book one Catalina he flew in was mk1a W8405. In his words "a stripped Cat with vlr tanks." (See my avatar) I am hoping to build a model of this aircraft so I am seeking details of colour scheme and markings, I believe she was either Y or Z based on the squadron operation log.

Any help or suggested links, etc, would be gratefully received.

9_9.jpg

Loving the info on RAF Catalinas. My late father was a flight sergeant wom/ag with the special duties flight of 240 squadron at Red Hills Lake, Madras. The main aircraft he flew in were FP304, FX311 and W8405, the former was struck off charge in April 1945 after returning, badly damaged, from an SD op in the gulf of siam. The skipper, F/Lt Turnbull, was decorated for getting [this is what I was given to understand] the aircraft airborne in a too large swell having been caught on water by a patrol boat and returned to base.

Dad noted W8405 as a 1a, "a stripped Cat with VLR tanks." I have a photo of her at her mooring trot somewhere. I only found out this month, that there was OSS involvement in the operations they carried out in Burma, the Andamans and Siam, I know that Dad did not talk about his war much, he died 40 years ago, and Mum once told me that some of the stuff they did was very "hush hush".

I have his log books and have purchased some squadron ORBs which are interesting but do not tell me much.

My late father was a WOM/AG Flt Sgt with the special duties flight of 240 based at Redhills Lake, Madras 1944-45. According to his log book one Catalina he flew in was mk1a W8405. In his words "a stripped Cat with vlr tanks." (See my avatar) I am hoping to build a model of this aircraft so I am seeking details of colour scheme and markings, I believe she was either Y or Z based on the squadron operation log.

Any help or suggested links, etc, would be gratefully received.

My late father was also on the same SD flight of 240 Sqdn at Red Hills Lake. I'm also in touch with Chris Howells who's Dad was also on the same crew. You don't give his name but mine was Bill (Tommy) Thomas, Flt Sgt Flight Engineer. He was, like your Dad, on Turnbull's "decoration" flight, my Dad's logbook page attached.
Peter Thomas ([email protected])

Attachments

• dad 240 sq 014 (2).jpg
    dad 240 sq 014 (2).jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Dad India 2 (002).jpeg
    Dad India 2 (002).jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 83
  • dad's crew xmas 1944 reverse.jpg
    dad's crew xmas 1944 reverse.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 52
My late father was also on the same SD flight of 240 Sqdn at Red Hills Lake. I'm also in touch with Chris Howells who's Dad was also on the same crew. You don't give his name but mine was Bill (Tommy) Thomas, Flt Sgt Flight Engineer. He was, like your Dad, on Turnbull's "decoration" flight, my Dad's logbook page attached.
Peter Thomas ([email protected])

Attachments

• 1942 genera65-001.jpg
    1942 genera65-001.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Back