Cold War Intercept (1 Viewer)

1950-1980 supreme interceptor?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D

Lieutenant Colonel
Apr 1, 2004
Here is the picture I have in my living room. The first person to tell me what's wrong in the image will die quickly when I kill everyone.

Aviation-prints-021.jpg

Then we can discuss the interceptors at the height of the Cold War. In poll, the question is for intercept roles only. Any mention of "multi-role" capability is just ...a waste of energy.

Nope. The pitot is under the nose, the probe on the side is the re-fueling probe.

Hey, why isnt the F106 listed?..........

Isnt the wing pylon supposed to be on top?

OK..... I agree the Lightning had the best performance for an interceptor. However, I think the F106 and F101 had the better weapons. That said, Id still take the Lightning.

Dude, the F-106 is listed. And nope for les, and nope for syscom. There's no wing pylon on 'em (in reality, there were under-wing positions on the Saudi Lightnings)

There aren't any bigger pictures on the internet. And you don't need a bigger picture to notice the mistake. I'll post a picture of an 11 Sqdn. Lightning tommorow ...and then you might work it out. I will say it's quite hard if you don't look carefully and know something about operational Lightnings.

By the way, don't you think the picture is cool? Right in the middle of the back wall in my front room...it's flanked by an 11 Sqdn. Lightning from Binbrook picture...and a Chinook from Odiham ASF.

As a pure Cold War, shoot down Commie Bombers Interceptor, the Lightning has it hand down.

However, the F-4 and F-106 were no slouches in the 60s and 70s and fulfilled the intercept role well over North America along with CAF Voodoos until the F-15 and F-18s came along. In the 80s I could of seen a NATO scenario where Lightnings were taking care of Soviet bombers while the F-15 tangled with any fighters.....

In either case I think if the Soviet Union would of attempted a strike using its bomber force over Europe, they would of gotten mauled....

Interesting thought about the Lightnings and F-15s. It'd work perfectly. The idea of the Lightning simply was to be up there first and slow, or hold up, the enemy until the better armed machines could be up into combat.

With a Lightning/F-15 combo ...it would have been the Lightning the shield, the F-15 the sword.

lesofprimus said:
What about the F-14???

The AIM 54 Phoenix system could destroy a bomber sized target from 75 miles out and further.... And flying CAP doesnt require you to go cold start and fly to altitude, ur already there....

Does that count as the interceptor role pD???

I see the -14 as a close second, especially fulfilling this role with the Pacific Fleet

...I did actually list the F-14. From a ground strip, the F-14 would still be left standing by the Lightning though. Most interceptions took place from ground strips, and even with the Phoneix system the F-14 was still behind.

plan_D said:
Interesting thought about the Lightnings and F-15s. It'd work perfectly. The idea of the Lightning simply was to be up there first and slow, or hold up, the enemy until the better armed machines could be up into combat.

With a Lightning/F-15 combo ...it would have been the Lightning the shield, the F-15 the sword.

Yep, agree! We should run NATO.....

If I had any position of power over the aerial defence of Europe during the late 80s, the Lightning would still be in service because I would have demanded that English Electric implement it's modernisation of the Lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back