Comics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like very much the Miyazaki artworks. He is a great comic artist. But his animations are wonderful. In his works the animation of the flight gives us a feeling of realism.
Apart the masterpiece "Porco Rosso" (this story takes place in Italy, but in Italy this film was screened at the cinema only in 2012!), we can see different aircraft or flying machines almost in the majority of his works!
For example: the episode 145 from second Lupin III series and titled "Wings of Death - Albatross" was plenty of airplanes.
I know that during WWII his father was a director in a small factory that produced rudders for the Mitsubishi A6M Zero. And he loves airplanes.
Another interesting cartoonist and animator is Leiji Matsumoto. His film titled "The Cockpit" is composed by 3 different stories, all set in WWII. The first is a fictional story about a Luftwaffe pilot. The second tell the story about some japanese pilots (and kamikaze attack plane Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka) and the latter tell the story about two japanese soldiers that attempt to reach an air base.

I recommend the blog of a very good french cartoonist named Romain Hugault.
Le blog de Romain Hugault
He drew several aeronautical comics that take place mainly during the Second World War.
Two examples:
fana2hq.jpg

yak.jpg

A tribute to Miyazaki and his "Porco Rosso":
porco.jpg

Sweet! Porco Rosso is a terrific movie. I remember seeing it when it came out and being blown away by the detail Miyazaki went into in his conceptualisations. That Romain Hugault's a dab hand; he's got a hint of the Philip Castle about him.

philip castle artwork - Google Search

Last edited:
At left, the "Spauracchio" that is the ensign of the 22º Gruppo of the Italian Air Force. At right the scarecrow in the Miyazaki movie "Howl's Moving Castle".

Spauracchio.jpg

In fact! I also do not think so. Then, recently, I understand that. And I got confirmation. Miyazaki is passionate about airplanes. Especially the golden age of the aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back