Compressor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
LMAO Catch, I just spent several hours researching and buying a new compressor for myself, as my old one, the same one u posted up above, sh!t the bed....

After looking and reading different reviews and products, I went the smart way....

One that has a tank attached:
41ShS79uujL._SS400_.jpg

The Airbrush Depot TC-20T... $145 bucks... Spend alittle bit more and get aproduct that'll last longer and work better than one without a tank...
Amazon.com: NEW Quiet 1/5 hp AIRBRUSH TANK COMPRESSOR-FREE AIR HOSE: Kitchen Dining

Here's the pdf file for it:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/protanningsystems/images/TC20Manual.pdf

Look around on Amazon, as there were a couple similar if not the same as urs for less than ebay can offer....

TCP Global was impossible to beat on prices Cory....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hahaha Dan, well that solves that then.

The issue is the one I have with a tank is apparently the problem, because the tank is too big on it, or so I'm told. It has TOO MUCH pressure, and doesn't allow me to get fine lines. No matter how hard I try, I just can't get anything remotely fine, and I don't think it's the airbrush. Thanks Dan, I'll have a look.

Harry, it's a Paasche. I don't recall the exact name of it though.

snap Cory i'm ordering my first compressor and airbrush on my next days off, cant show what i'm ordering as i'm at work and the office computer wont let me on the modelhobbies website but am getting a complete set of compressor, airbrush with a braided hose for £93 plus delivery.
had Terry check it out for me and he reckons its a good deal

This is what I'm using with my Iwata HP-CS airbrush, a Smart Jet Pro. Got it for 50 of the Queens best folding in 2008, new!Cost £200+ I see on ebay!

Attachments

• IWATA SMART JET PRO AUTO COMPRESSOR.jpg
    IWATA SMART JET PRO AUTO COMPRESSOR.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 103
I upgraded from a tankless compressor to one which has a tank. Without the tank I couldn't mantain a consistent pressure. Much easier with a tank full of air and a regulator to control the psi. Maybe you just need a regulator?

The compressor in the Cory's post is similar to my one.It is equipped with the PSI regulator and the moisture trap.

Catch, if someone is letting you think the tank is Too Big, they are blowing smoke straight up your bum!!!!!!!!!! You could have a 100 HP compressor on a tank as big as a house and still run an airbrush on it!!!!!!! You need to make sure you have a good pressure regulator which will go down to maybe 10 PSI, and a bloody water trap! PERIOD. I have been using a Paasche VSL for years. I was a signwriter for 16 years and used this for shading, and then used it for models about 10 years ago and will be using it again. There are different size tips for any air brush, from the finest hairline to lines as wide as a pencil. And make sure the needle an the oriface are ALWAYS clean. On the internet see if you can find accessories for yours, see if you can find a very fine tip set. The problem with most tankless compressors, the little buggers, is they have a diaphram pump, which pulses, never allowing a smooth air flow, and they run all the time. Th reason you WANT a tank is to store lots of pressure to bleed off from. This is what allows a constant smooth air flow at low pressures. I hope this clears up what your solutions may be. Go to a compressor dealer to find out the straight story mate. cheers, and good luck, Bill

Bill is spot on. Although the tankless compressors are just fine for most modelling jobs, (I have one, and, like most of us, it's used for relatively short periods.) a compressor with a tank will not affect the running of an airbrush, and are designed for prolonged use, as in an art studio, body shop etc. I used to have access to an industrial compressor, the tank on which was as big as a fuel drum, and had no problem whatsoever running the 'brush. It's just a case of setting the regulator to the desired pressure which, although it may not be 100% accurate, will be within a pound or so, and good enough.
Given that the regulator on your compressor is working, then you need to check the nozzle/jet, as Bill suggested, to ensure that it is clean and free from obstruction, and check the specification of the jet, to ascertain it's line capability. The jet size will give you an idea, anything from .25 or smaller will give fine line work without problem, even without a pressure regulator.
Whoever told you the tank is too big is talking through his venturi !!

:lol: Well thanks gents! Turns out my pressure regulator DOES work, it just doesn't display properly. I also do not have a water trap, so I should probably invest in one, though I haven't noticed any water coming out?

:lol: Well thanks gents! Turns out my pressure regulator DOES work, it just doesn't display properly. I also do not have a water trap, so I should probably invest in one, though I haven't noticed any water coming out?

I've had my compressor for about a year now and have never had a problem with water. That said the day it happens I'll be livid. Think of the trap as an insurance policy against water because the day you see water in the trap you'll be thankful for the investment

I agree with Dirk, although, with the relatively low spray time, and paint quantities used in the average session for modelling, it's unlikely that moisture will be an issue. But, for the cost of a trap, it's a worthwhile, inexpensive investment - just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back