Controversial airplanes...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just like the F-35 is the media whipping boy, next will come the B-21

4 B-1As built, 100 B-1Bs.

This must have been what I was thinking of. B-1 was controversial for whatever reasons. Brought back as a B-1 "lite" with reduced capabilities.

This must have been what I was thinking of. B-1 was controversial for whatever reasons. Brought back as a B-1 "lite" with reduced capabilities.
The B-1 was resumed (as the "B") with enhanced capabilities in the 80's - it was in the 90's that it's rotary bomb-bay was modified to conform to SALT II requirements, but it's slated to receive new hardpoints to enable it to carry up to 31 hypersonic missiles.

Most of the other nations that have purchased it never had anything even in the class of the F-15, much less the F-22!
They had F-16s - which the F-35s are replacing.
So they are asking the F-35 to do the role of the F-16... which was to drop bombs/air-ground missiles, do some light battlefield air-air work, and do peacetime air-space policing.

Those nations that have bought the F-35 that had aircraft for the air-superiority role:

Britain had Tornado F.3s, replaced by Typhoons.
The Germans had F-4s, replaced by Typhoons.
The Italians had Tornado F.3s, replaced by Typhoons.
The Japanese had F-4s, replaced by F-15s.
The Israelis had F-4s, replaced by F-15s.

Everyone else has/had F-16s, except Australia which has/had upgraded F/A-18A&Bs.

I don't think the F-35 has the threat penetration capability that the F-22 has and cannot as adequately perform the threat suppression mission.
In an air-to-air role? It can most certainly detect the threat (at least the F-35A and C, I don't know if the F-35B has the same AEW capability as it's two brothers) how it deals with the threat is up for debate.

From LMCO F-35 info site:

"Advanced electronic warfare capabilities enable the F-35 to locate and track enemy forces, jam radio frequencies and disrupt attacks with unparalleled precision. All three variants of the F-35 carry active, electronically scanned array (AESA) radars with sophisticated electronic attack capabilities, including false targets, network attack, advanced jamming and algorithm-packed data streams. This system allows the F-35 to reach well-defended targets and suppress enemy radars that threaten the F-35. In addition, the ASQ-239 system provides fully integrated radar warning, targeting support, and self-protection, to detect and defeat surface and airborne threats.

While F-35 is capable of stand-off jamming for other aircraft — providing 10 times the effective radiated power of any legacy fighter — F-35s can also operate in closer proximity to the threat ('stand-in') to provide jamming power many multiples that of any legacy fighter.

"What we've done with the 5th Generation [aircraft] is the computer takes all those sensory inputs, fuses it into information. The pilot sees a beautiful God's eye view of what's going on. [...] It's a stunning amount of information."
—Gen. Mike Hostage, Commander, Air Combat Command, U.S. Air Force

The F-35's survivability, electronic attack, electronic protection, situational awareness, advanced targeting and unprecedented Combat ID will make the entire air wing better. Research indicates that adding more F-35s in a high threat environment is far more effective than adding more single-mission, electronic attack support aircraft. The electronic warfare suite on the F-35 gives improved emitter location capability over legacy aircraft."

By the USN I suppose. The navy must use the F-35 in the air superiority and fleet air defence role. Ever since the F-14 was ditched the USN has had to make due with strike aircraft as interceptor.

Currently not the plan - That's for the Super Hornet. The F-18 fulfills fleet defense just fine, the F-14 had to go and it was becoming a maintenance nightmare (I personally knew people who worked on them.) From LMCO:

https://www.f35.com/about/variants/f35c

Does that suggest that the Super Hornet offers the RCAF the NORAD-required intercept capability that the F-35 does not?

Depends - Are you looking for just an interceptor or an aircraft with multi-sensors, AEW capability as well as a Stealth and conventional strike capability?

Now, a Canadian Tomcat, that would be something..... The CF-14-Eh Tomcat?

View attachment 595401

It would have worked 35 years ago, better NORAD interceptor then the CF-18

Users who are viewing this thread