Corsair vs Lightning

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There was another role that the P38 excelled at, and that was the recon version. Long range, high altitiude performance, fast, and nice big eqmt bay in the nose made for a perfect plane for this role.

I dont believe there was a Corsair version for dedicated recon.

There was a F4U-5P that was a photoreconnaissance version, but I think there were only about 30 made, and after WWII. They were used in Korea a bit though.

The F-5 version of the P-38 was a superb photoreconnaissance aircraft though, I will agree with that.

I found this but it doesn't show much...

db_1115_19.jpg

From the Vought site link on right click.

syscom3 said:
I wonder if they had the recon camera's in a pod. I dont see much room in the airframe for a nice big camera.

The Corsair had a huge open area below and behind the pilot that could be used for cameras, ballast would be required up front. Until the -5 model they didn't even have a cockpit floor, just an open area about 3 feet deep. All tankage was foward of the cockpit with radio and oxygen tanks behind and a lot of open space.

wmaxt

I thought I should check that book to see if there was anything. I got lucky. Speaking of Corsairs...

These are a couple of previews to my new website, coming soon.

Attachments

• corsair10s_777.jpg
    corsair10s_777.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 271
  • corsair15_117.jpg
    corsair15_117.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 264
I will have some of the smaller, slightly lower resolution shots like above available for everyone to download and look at for free. I plan on having prints available as well as calendars and maybe t-shirts at some point. Why not make a little money with my hobby?

The shot in my sig I just sent out to the lab for a 16 x 20 print that I plan to matte and frame for a gallery. If it works out, I may go up to 30 x 20 size. We will see how the 16 x 20 looks first to see if I want to go any larger.

Well so far, both planes are pretty much equal.

Where one excells, the other has points in its favor to even the score.

I put my vote still on the P38 by just a fraction of a point, as it was more versatile.

And how can anyone say the Corsair was the navy's "P51"?.......... Good god man!!!!

Corsair was a beautiful and graceful Naval Aircraft. It was the Navy's P51D in my opinion.

Naaaaa, this was the Navy's P-51D. You can just barely see the tailhook. This shot was from USS Shangri-La in,
as I recall, November 1944. Pilot is Bob Elder.

4206d88e2fced.jpg

There were also some P-51Cs that VCS-8 operated in the invasion of Southern France and the Spitfire Vb's
that VCS-7 operated over Normandy.

Regards,

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back