Counting the Cost

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh right... so because Germany or Japan didn't actively invade your country, the sacrifices made by them against the Axis forces is forgotten? So Canada sees their war as a defence of Britain? I guess the feeling across the world is "The Allies came to save Britain's ass".

Oh right... so because Germany or Japan didn't actively invade your country, the sacrifices made by them against the Axis forces is forgotten? So Canada sees their war as a defence of Britain? I guess the feeling across the world is "The Allies came to save Britain's ass".
Pretty much

Well..... it is the truth.

:lol:

In a single day who lost the most planes and men Bomber Command performing nightime ops or USAF doing daylight ops ?

Bomber Harris lost more men.

It falls to only a few men to have to carry the burden of sending young men in their prime to their deaths....

It's easy 60 year on to critisise

I believe your missing the point when the guys landed after a mission the BBC always said RAF when the show might have been RCAF or so I've overheard in conversations .

I didn't see a point being made, just a dig at the general UK population and their lack of respect to Canadians

Ok so how many shows were made up of totally RCAF planes ?

How many shows where the RCAF made the majority of the planes taking part ?

How many shows where the RCAF didn't make up the majority of the planes taking part ?

You hold a grude because the British BBC reported that the show was an RAF one ?... Were there no Canadian media there, would it not make sense to report 'The RCAF planes landing behind me, bringing our brave Canadian boys back safely' even if the planes contained Yorkshiremen... Are you saying it never happened ?

The BBC are there to report to their British viewers, in a propoganda war to maintain spirits.

The Canadian Media are there to do the same...

You hold a 60 year grudge because of some little miss reporting to make some mother and father sleep better at night whilst their little 'Johny' is risking his life over Germany ?

I'd bail out of this if I was you, as you aint looking so clever.

Simon

If the 'Battle of Britain' decided whether Germany had the capabilities to invade the UK.

Then the UK had allready sucessfully defended itself and the basing of USAF and commonwealth airforces on British soil was so as to have a base to free mainland Europe... ie to attack Germany, not defend Britain as the RAF and Navy had that under control.

Simon

I didn't see a point being made, just a dig at the general UK population and their lack of respect to Canadians

Ok so how many shows were made up of totally RCAF planes ?

How many shows where the RCAF made the majority of the planes taking part ?

How many shows where the RCAF didn't make up the majority of the planes taking part ?

You hold a grude because the British BBC reported that the show was an RAF one ?... Were there no Canadian media there, would it not make sense to report 'The RCAF planes landing behind me, bringing our brave Canadian boys back safely' even if the planes contained Yorkshiremen... Are you saying it never happened ?

The BBC are there to report to their British viewers, in a propoganda war to maintain spirits.

The Canadian Media are there to do the same...

You hold a 60 year grudge because of some little miss reporting to make some mother and father sleep better at night whilst their little 'Johny' is risking his life over Germany ?

I'd bail out of this if I was you, as you aint looking so clever.

Simon

WTF you talking about? No where did pB say he holds a grudge against the British people, I think you are blowing this out of proportion. All pB said was that in some cases the efforts of the men from Canada go unrecognized because they're simply classed as being "Commonwealth" or RAF airmen. Like I said ealier, what does that tell you? Was he Canadian, Aussie or a Kiwi? You might not give two sh*ts about what nationality that crew or squadron belonged to, but I sure many people in Canada do, just as they do here in Australia.

WTF you talking about? No where did pB say he holds a grudge against the British people, I think you are blowing this out of proportion. All pB said was that in some cases the efforts of the men from Canada go unrecognized because their simply classed as being "Commonwealth" or RAF airmen. Like I said ealier, what does that tell you? Was he Canadian, Aussie or a Kiwi? You might not give two sh*ts about what nationality that crew or squadron belonged to, but I sure many people in Canada do, just as they do here in Australia.
Amen

I've just been reading the RAAF site, and it states that during

the duration of World War II saw 15,746 RAAF pilots, navigators, wireless operators, gunners and engineers sent to British squadrons and 11,641 to Australian squadrons.

Has anyone got comparable figures for other Commonwealth countries?

Cheers
A

The number I came up with after a quick search was including 6gp approximately 25% of Bomber Command was Canadian . I'll try to find a more accurate number

The number I came up with after a quick search was including 6gp approximately 25% of Bomber Command was Canadian . I'll try to find a more accurate number

Cheers PB. I'm working on SAAF and RNZAF - easier said then done :confused:

I can find figures for casualties, but not overall figures (yet).

I was thinking of starting a new thread, just for these figures. It'd be a handy resource to have (maybe couple it with total numbers of squadrons, theatres of ops etc) - what do you think?

He does not have a legitimate gripe..

This thread was about the monument to American servicemen.. but his first post was.

"What about the Canadians and Aussies and Kiwis or did we get lumped into RAF"

A memorial was then shown to him by amrit...

Did he retract his opinion.. no, this was his next post.

"Dead nuts on , Our guys almost to a man fought for Canada not for the Queen or England but for Canada as did the Aussies Kiwis in their own squadrons , Canada contributed 6 group not bad for a country of 12 million but we get clumped in with your guys. In other words thanks for the help don't let the door slam on your ass after we leave ."

He refused to accept the words of a Battle of Britain Pilot, whilst telling all of us the reasons why Aussies , Kiwis and Canadians fought.

"and Al Deere does not speak for the majority "

He then whinges on about how the Yorkshire people showed no respect to his countrymen for their sacrifices..

"better yet in Yorkshire where 16 RCAF bomber squadrons were based show me any acknowledgement of there effort let alone evidence of their contribution."

After Amrit posted up links to memorials did he retract his statement.. no far from it.. he then critises the BBC

"I believe your missing the point when the guys landed after a mission the BBC always said RAF when the show might have been RCAF or so I've overheard in conversations"

and follows this up with and other attack on the lack of respect shown to Canadian servicemen

"In Tholthorpe not a plaque nothing in fact the place is enshrined by the last remaining building is a now pig pen. . 814 RCAF bombers were lost and we get clumped with the RAF ."

After amrit posted up yet another link... we final get an apollogy of sorts..

"My apology it must be recent as when i visited in the 80's it wasn't there"

He then follows this up by confirming his opinion of how the allies came to save Britains ass...

"pretty much"

------

So I think I'm quite within my right to be d isgusted in his attitude towards us Brits..

You Americans wouldn't put up with it...

Simon

Cheers PB. I'm working on SAAF and RNZAF - easier said then done :confused:

I can find figures for casualties, but not overall figures (yet).

I was thinking of starting a new thread, just for these figures. It'd be a handy resource to have (maybe couple it with total numbers of squadrons, theatres of ops etc) - what do you think?

I think it's a good idea mate.

If bomber feels I've slighted him or the UK then my apopogies I also apologized about hijacking the thread dedicated to the loss of USAAF aircrew . But the fact remains our aircrew in the RAF mind was for replacements and we had to fight to get our own squadrons and if it hadn't been for the support you recieved from the Commonwealth nations and the US you would have been in dire straights.
If you ever want to see the aircraft you pine about give me a call I'm willing to get you up close and personal and with these aircraft you even get to meet the aircrew that flew the things then you won't have to read about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back