Couple questions for the upcoming group build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• d-day-p-51-mustang-invasion-stripes.jpg
    d-day-p-51-mustang-invasion-stripes.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 84
  • d-day-us-bombers.jpg
    d-day-us-bombers.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
B-26's 8)

Will order the eagle cal decal sheet as time draws nearer... but it'll pull a nice 30 bucks outta my wallet :shock:

Harrison, I know that there are cheaper options than that for Preddy's P-51D. Besides I think the decals for his plane are in the kit that I sent you. :) Check it out when it arrives and let me know. I'm getting ready to order some stuff from Squadron and adding a set of decals is a snap. :)

I've made my decision. It'll be Preddy's Cripes A Mighty, will order the eaglecal decals for it, it comes with 5 other decals sets for other planes, so will build those too.

Since it allows me to do 3 versions of his planes A P-51B, P-51D-5, P-51D-15, then I will just build a sharkmouth P-51B with invasion stripes and a P-51D with stripes and probably, not use the B-26 for this build.

Since it allows me to do 3 versions of his planes A P-51B, P-51D-5, P-51D-15, then I will just build a sharkmouth P-51B with invasion stripes and a P-51D with stripes and probably, not use the B-26 for this build.

He actually had 4 versions of Cripes A Mighty and the last three were Mustangs. The first Cripes a Mighty was actually a P-47D Razorback serial no. 42-8500. Cripes a Mighty 2nd serial no. 42-106451 was a P-51B, Razorback Merlin Powered Mustang. Cripes a Mighty 3rd serial no 44-13331 was a P-51D-5NA with a Merlin Engine manufactured in Inglewood CA.. His last Cripes a Mighty serial no. 44-14906 was a P-51D-15NA also with a Merlin Engine manufactured in Inglewood CA. He flew it for only a few months, from October until his death on Christmas Day 1944 by friendly fire no less.

Some notes on markings:

His second mustang would have been the one with the D_DAY markings iirc.

Like its predecessor, the final "CRIPES A'MIGHTY" wore an overall natural-metal finish. By late July 1944 the D-Day stripes were being removed from many Allied aircraft, however some stripes were retained and continued to be worn as ETO recognition bands in late 1944/early 1945. "CRIPES A'MIGHTY" wore two black recognition stripes on the lower fuselage. The single black stripes on the upper and lower stabilisers were added when the unit moved to Belgium in December 1944

Serial numbers for Preddy's plane and production history for P-51D's from these sites:

P-51D Mustang - Preddy

The P-51 Mustang Production Count -MustangsMustangs.com:

Keep an eye for decal sheets entitled "The Blue Nose Bastards of Bodney". There are no less than SIX sheets of them, and at least one of them has Preddy's P-51D on it.

Also a short note, the "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" name should be red painted for the P-51 used in the mid of 1944.

Last edited:
Also a short note the "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" name should be red painted for the P-51 used in the mid of 1944.

Not solid red by any means.

According to what I've found, the name was painted as follows:

"On the blue part of the nose the name is in white block letters shadowed in black (or red). As the name spills over onto the unpainted natural-metal it is reversed, ie. black block letters shadowed in white (could also have had red outline)." Here's a pic with two of his last P51-D as well:

Attachments

• CAM_33d_crw.jpg
    CAM_33d_crw.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 69
  • CAM_bw.jpg
    CAM_bw.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 74
  • CAM_bw2.jpg
    CAM_bw2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 83
Not solid red by any means.

According to what I've found, the name was painted as follows:

"On the blue part of the nose the name is in white block letters shadowed in black (or red). As the name spills over onto the unpainted natural-metal it is reversed, ie. black block letters shadowed in white (could also have had red outline)." Here's a pic with two of his last P51-D as well:

I have found the pic of larger size and better quality in a book titled "P-51D/K Mustangs over the Third Reich". The way the name was painted is exactly like you described Dwight. But the red colour of the shadow/letters is clearly stated in AJ-Press book "P-51D Mustang" #3 Modelmania series.

Great stuff guys, great stuff.

Well here is the plan, since eaglecals, comes with a P-51B shark mouth decals and a profile of the sharkmouth P-51B with invasion stripes, that is one, once I order the kit.

A definite is Preddy's "Cripes a Might 3rd."

Now I am making a promise to myself I will NOT rush these...

I will build the first P-51 with the shark mouth and then the 2nd to last one.

Attachments

• preddy_mustangs2.jpg
    preddy_mustangs2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back