Craft paints for scale models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Senior Airman
May 1, 2016
A friend gave me a copy of an article from Railroad Model Craftsman, "Using Craft Paint as a Replacement for PollyScale Acrylics". June 2015.

The author discusses switching to common craft paints from stores like Michaels for rail road modeling.

He uses craft paint , thinned with Liquitex airbrush medium 50-50, then adds Liquitex floww aid.

I've tried it and Ive been using IPA alchohol instead of the airbrush medium. Results I'm getting are fine, I dare say as good as Tamiya paints.

You can buy 2 oz bottles for between $1 and $2, and less if you use a coupon. This about a tenth of the price I can get hobby paint in the shop. For common colors its a good alternative.

I have some Apple Barrel craft paint. One colour is very close to RAF Interior green and another is a direct match for RAF roundel red. I also have some generic colours for detailing cockpits etc.

Here's a Matchbox I painted with craft paint. Gloss white with a few drops of Buttermilk, thinned 50/50 with 91% IPA, a few drops of Liquitex flow aid. The bottom coat is ModelMaster acrylic white primer. All sprayed by a NEO by Iwata.

The top coat is Mr Hobby Super Clear from a rattle can. The LCC Ambulance.

1575C5AC-DC8A-4EB9-9CE1-E8BD529318B7.jpeg
42AA6561-19BD-4E39-96A1-3618430CA330.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Matchboxes may look silly, but they can be found for a dollar or two, the castings hold up after 50 years of hard playing, and they are fun. A half an hour an evening, in few days you have a restored car.
F4854B8E-4DB3-48FE-8779-14D402FCF6B4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why silly? .. Still having a couple of the Matchbox kits in my stash. And a couple of them assembled still being displayed on my shelf.

Decals are from an online seller, also eBay. My hope to try designing and printing on decale

Before switching to air-brushing I was painting my models with the craft store types of acrylics, many from WalMart which sells Apple Barrel, applying with common paint brushes. I was never completely pleased with the finishes thus the switch to air brushing. However, I still use these same acrylics, thinning with RO water and reducer (Wicked). The results are much better but not perfect. Reading your post has opened the door for experimentation. Instead of thinning with water and reducer I guess I should try the 91% alcohol thinning? So, you use the 91% alcohol ONLY, as a thinner? Or do you use a flow enhancer as well? Many of these hobby paints vary in consistancy, so the ratios will have to be adjusted. Yes, I remember the 'milk' reference. The costs of these inexpensive 'hobby' acrylics allow for a very large collection of colors, and with a bit of mixing, most of the colors that are wanted for the model being painted can be created.

Yes, I am using 91% IPA only, as a thinner, I start with 50/50 blend of of paint to IPA. Then add about a 3 or 5 drops of Liquitex Flow Aid if I am only mixing enough for the airbrush cup. Then thin or add paint until it looks the right consistency and sprays right on a test surface. Typical thinning, and color blending, its trial and error.

I use 91% because its what I keep on hand to clean the airbrush.

The author of the article uses Liquitex Airbrush Medium as his thinning agent. This isn't stocked in my local Michaels, its an online ship to home or store only. So to try the idea I used IPA. The next time I get a 50% Michaels coupon, I may order it and see if there is a difference.

Here are a couple pages of the article from June 2015. If the moderator thinks posting is a copyright issue, please delete.

Attachments

• IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_5176.JPG
    IMG_5176.JPG
    631.8 KB · Views: 186
Before switching to air-brushing I was painting my models with the craft store types of acrylics, many from WalMart which sells Apple Barrel, applying with common paint brushes. I was never completely pleased with the finishes thus the switch to air brushing. However, I still use these same acrylics, thinning with RO water and reducer (Wicked). The results are much better but not perfect. Reading your post has opened the door for experimentation. Instead of thinning with water and reducer I guess I should try the 91% alcohol thinning? So, you use the 91% alcohol ONLY, as a thinner? Or do you use a flow enhancer as well? Many of these hobby paints vary in consistancy, so the ratios will have to be adjusted. Yes, I remember the 'milk' reference. The costs of these inexpensive 'hobby' acrylics allow for a very large collection of colors, and with a bit of mixing, most of the colors that are wanted for the model being painted can be created.
I have two of those matchbox cars. I never thought of restoring them.

on youtube, check out Martys Matchbox Makeover channel. I know this thread is way off topic of aircraft modeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back