Crimea River's Weekend Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's been a while since I posted in this thread. The title is now a misnomer as I have retired since posting the last batch of pics so everyday is the weekend now!

Yesterday I checked an item off my bucket list and completed a spectacular bike ride up the Highwood Pass with friends in glorious weather. The pass is located about an hour's drive southwest of where I live. With a summit elevation of 2206 meters, the pass is the highest paved roadway in Canada and is closed during the winter for obvious reasons. However, the road is a favourite for cyclists in the spring before the gates open up again for vehicle traffic on June 15 for the summer. With no cars on the road, the only thing to be wary of is other cyclists and critter dung.

The pass summit can be accessed from either the north or the south. The north ride is only 18 km to the summit but is a steady and often steep climb. The south route is much longer at 38 km to the summit and involves many climbs, levels and drops along the way. The net elevation gain from the south is 678 meters but you actually climb more than that given that you lose elevation in the dips. We took the 76 km round trip south route.

We could not have picked a better day with mostly clear skies and a temperature approaching a high of 26 degrees. We left in the morning when the air was cooler and reached the summit at about 1pm. Here are some pics of the day. Hope you like them.

This is the south gate where everyone parks their vehicles. In the background, the road rises immediately with a hint of things to come.

19061206.jpg

Our motley group, me in the blue jersey, with critters in the background. Bighorn sheep are very common here. They like to lick the salt off the roads.

19061207.jpg

A view to the north about a third of the way in.

19061208.jpg

This is a panoramic shot which doesn't adequately capture the spectacular view at this point, about 4km from the summit. It is a natural amphitheatre with the mountains feeling like they are surrounding you. Legs and butt getting sore at this point so the pause for a picture was welcome.

19061209.jpg

This is the summit taken from a roadside picnic area just about 100 meters to the south.

19061210.jpg

A pic from the same point, looking south from whence we came. The pavement to the right is the picnic area. The road to the left is the main highway on which we travelled and the route up is via the valley that can be seen just right of center.

19061211.jpg

The motley group at the summit, a little worse for wear. One of our group didn't make it all the way and waited for us back at base camp.

19061212.jpg

Though there are many hardcore cyclists riding this road many times (some go from the north gate to the south and back!), this was one that was a personal challenge for me and something that I'm proud to have achieved.

Thanks for looking in.

I know the subject of this thread is "Weekend Pics" but, having now been retired for almost 4 years, I'm able to take advantage of one of the huge benefits of retirement and that is being able to visit popular sites during the week when they aren't over-run with weekenders and tourists, although the latter hasn't been an issue this year with the Covid travel restrictions. Even so, visiting the splendours of Banff National Park during summer or on weekends is a challenge, even with just the locals flocking to the mountains. So yesterday, with a former work colleague for company, I took advantage of the lingering great summer weather and hiked up to Taylor Lake in the park which, at this time of year, is one of the most spectacular settings to see what we have for fall colours in these parts. Now, having grown up in eastern Canada where reds and orange colours are common, I may come across to my friends as a bit underwhelmed by the colours here out west where the predominant colour is yellow. Nonetheless, we hit the timing almost perfectly and the display was first rate.

In the mountains, where "evergreens" are the norm at higher altitudes, there is one type of conifer, the larch, that is a little unusual in that it sheds it's needles every fall and therefore is not a true "evergreen". Before shedding, the needles turn a deep yellow as you will see below.

The hike starts at a large parking lot off the Trans-Canada Highway, about 10 minutes south of the more famous Lake Louise and the well marked trail almost immediately becomes a steady climb of some 585 meters over a distance of 6.3 km to the lake. It's a boring 2 hour plod through trees with really no vistas to take in on the way, but once it levels off and you emerge from the trees you are treated with this:

20100101.jpg
20100109.jpg
20100110.jpg

All of those yellow patches that you can see are larch trees and below is a close up of one which shows the yellow needles. This tree will likely be completely bare this time next week.

20100102.jpg

We had lunch by the lake and then chose to trek a bit further uphill along Panorama Ridge to the north (to the right in the above lake pics) where there was sure to be more beauty. After a steep pitch, the trail follows a scenic stream up to a small pond in a rock fall at the base of a high wall.

20100108.jpg

20100103.jpg
20100104.jpg
20100105.jpg

The weather forecast was quite accurate with the sun being filtered through some high cloud cover and smoke courtesy of the California wild fires for most of the day. I was hoping that it would clear early but, unfortunately, these conditions stayed with us until the skies cleared as we descended back down. All of the pics in this thread have therefore been brightened a bit and the contrast cranked up for your viewing pleasure.

The pond above was our high point, both literally and figuratively and we then began our decent back down at around 3pm.

20100107.jpg

Wish you all could have tagged along but hopefully the pics give you a bit of an idea of the experience. Thanks for looking in.

Very cool. Better not show this to the house Boss. It would go straight into her todo list at number 1 i am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back