Cruiser Scouting Squadron Seven (VCS-7) use of Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
From Wikipedia:
Spitfires were briefly flown by the US Navy after the Normandy landings to support cruisers and battleships bombarding land targets.

Can anyone shed some light on why the US Navy flew Spitfires?

Many questions or issues come to mind.
How much time effort were expended to train USN personnel on these planes? Was it worth usage for such a short period of time?
Why not just use USN planes?
Why not USAAF planes?

That is interesting, and I bet they didn't mind swapping their floatplanes for Spitfires!

Daddy w:Spitfire, VCS-7.jpg
I'm new to the site, but my dad was a member of the VCS-7. Is anyone, or does anyone know anyone, who was a member? I'm trying to ascertain if they will be honored on D-Day + 70. Are the plans to celebrate somewhere as I promised my dad on his deathbed, I would be present to represent him. He was the first allied aviator to land in France after the Normandy Invasion which I think is wonderful history for the RAF and England. My personal e-mail is [email protected] Thank you!

P.S. Please let me know if you didn't get my daddy's picture!

Last edited:
Hi Boogie welcome to the forum. Great picture and a great bit of family history.

One thing I would take off your email and ask people to send you a private message. Only members can message you but anyone can see your email address and you might end up getting spammed.

The U.S. Navy pilots flew the Spitfires in VCS-7 before, during and after the Normandy Invasion. My dad was a member of that Squadron.

From Wikipedia:
Spitfires were briefly flown by the US Navy after the Normandy landings to support cruisers and battleships bombarding land targets.

How much time effort were expended to train USN personnel on these planes? Was it worth usage for such a short period of time?
Why not USAAF planes?

I seem to remember reading that the USN also used Wildcats and Hellcats for that role, so USN planes appear to have been used. Also, as an aside, Spitfires were flown by the USAAF. Just ask Bob Hoover ;)

I think that the trigger for the switch away from floatplanes was the experience during the invasion of Sicily, when one USN cruiser lost three of its four floatplanes during a shoot. I know that Wildcats and Hellcats were also used. One thing I found out (from another forum) was that the pilot was the observer; I had thought that it was the guy in back, but he was just the radio operator.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:

Why not USAAF planes?

I think this will help you!

spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfires-of-the-us-navy.html

www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/cruiser-scouting-squadron-seven-vcs-7-us.

That Robert J. Adams is handsome, huh???? Did you know that the first plane to land in France on D-Day was one from this Squadron? And guess who the pilot was????

Thanks. I guess we're a bit naive over here!!! How's Prince George doing? I wonder if you and/or anyone else knows where I can get a VCS-7 patch???? You know where I am!!! Thanks a million..............

If you can't find one, maybe you can get one made up.

View attachment 238873

Geo

Thank you so much. I have a picture of it also. Believe it or not, dad had never seen it while flying with the VCS-7! Since he and I was such WWII history buffs, he gave me his flight suit, flight jacket, red baron cap, etc., but Hurricane Katrina took everything he gave me when it took my house. I hope I can find these things next year with it gets closer to the anniversary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back