Customs in UK

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
So I left my retainer at home and my dad shipped it to me it's about the size (package) of a small tissue box. We paid for faster shipping 24 USD to get it here in time. It's here but the postman delivered a note at the house it's being shipped to that I have to go to the post office and show my passport (that's fine) but there's 21 pounds of charges on it.... What the hell am I going to have to pay 21 pounds for do you think? I could understand a few pounds but 21? That's not a small sum of money and aggravating... Tomorrow I'm going to have to go there and figure it out but I can't get over 21 pounds... It's a retainer it's not like it's a big package

I've had it happen. Excise duty which is hard to argue about plus a handling charge....... Handling charge for heaven's sake, they certainly haven't earned that.
Steve

A retainer is about $200 - $300. So while I won't say it makes sense, the numbers crunch.

Harrison, I'm sorry to say that if you want your parcel you'll have to paid the charge.
There is no way around your situation other than abandonment.

Thanks guys makes more sense now but if it's a personal item it gets tariffed?

Personal items can get tarrifed anywhere. Why do you think I have my family use thr Military mail when mailing me stuff from Germany. If they send it through the German mail, I have to play taxes and tariffe.

It shouldn't really H, but it depends how the Customs declaration was worded. If, for example, it was declared as a personal, medical item, Duty would probably not have been imposed. You can try arguing the point, but, seeing as the Duty has already been applied and registered, it's unlikely you'll succeed. You can, of course, write an official complaint, maybe when you get home, pointing out that the item was neccessary personal medical aid, your own personal property, for your personal and neccessary daily use, and there's a good chance you might get a refund.

Had you brought the item in yourself you could have claimed the £390 personal allowance and not paid anything.
If you use the post, its not imported by you and is subject to duty and tax.
These are the UK rules.
Your sender has been honest and declared the proper value which has led to your situation I'm afraid.
If you want to chat about this please pm me a contact number and I will phone you.

Yep they can be a trifle (and pricey at times too), well at least next time you would have an idea what to expect.

And to begin with me thought's this were going to be about (the other) obscure UK customs, like the recently banned chasing cheese down a steep hill or how we all jokingly at-times I'd add, call other UK-ers, from one of the another corners of the country 'Sheep Shaggers' and such etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back