CV-22 Osprey has crashed in Afghanistan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
A U.S. Air Force helicopter crashed late Thursday in Afghanistan's southeast, killing at least four people and wounding "numerous" others, the military said.

A spokesman for the Taliban said its fighters had shot it down, but an Afghan official said it appeared to have crashed due to mechanical failure.

The U.S. military released a statement saying an American CV-22 Osprey had crashed in southern Afghanistan late Thursday night, killing three U.S. troops, a civilian employee of unconfirmed nationality, and injuring "numerous other servicemembers."

Air Force officials said the cause of the crash was still being investigated.

Damn! I wish Matt was still posting here. He might have some info on this, or at least how they are holding up in these environments.

:salute:

I hate to sound cold, but its a new aircraft operating in conditions some of the most mature aircraft in service find tough. An accident was always possible. You would be hard pushed to find any new aircraft that didn't have one problem or other.

Matt is not based ashore, he's on board a ship. I believe if a ship-board "Osprey" were lost it would
be all over the news, like the recent Hawk-eye crash.

Charles

I know, but he has experience flying the Osprey in this environment. He does not only fly over the water. He was based in Iraq for a little while as well. The V-22 is used to fly troops...

There were Marine Ospreys based in Iraq as well, so there is no reason they would not fly in Afghanistan as well.

I was not saying that he was on the aircraft, I was saying he could give us some insight on how the V-22 has been flying in a combat environment...

Sad news,
My condolences to the families.
Salute_Smiley_Standard.gif

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back