Darwins Spitfires (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
For those interested in this subject (and I know a few here are!) there's a new book thats just been published which should make for some interesting reading. Check out the website, it's a wealth of information in itself, with tables containing claims, losses, maps etc. Good stuff!!:D
Darwin Spitfires | Darwin Spitfires, the real battle for Australia - Spitfires Darwin

I too am curious as I have read very little about the air defense of Australia. I checked the distribution and was glad to see there is an American distributor. I just may order it myself. I just ordered three new books on engines, so I may it will probably be later this year. If you should hear there is a limited quantity available please PM me. Thanks.

For those interested in this subject (and I know a few here are!) there's a new book thats just been published which should make for some interesting reading. Check out the website, it's a wealth of information in itself, with tables containing claims, losses, maps etc. Good stuff!!:D
Darwin Spitfires | Darwin Spitfires, the real battle for Australia - Spitfires Darwin

I finished it earlier this week and can recommend the book as one of the best at reconstructing individual air combats I've ever read as well as providing an excellent overview of the progress of the entire campaign. It blends first hand pilot reports, testimony of ground observers, post war accounts and official histories to give a very solid view of the action over Darwin from the Australian perspective and the overall strategic perspective from both sides.

Its given me new insight into the performance of the Spitfire in the defence of Australia, as well as the previously unsung role of the Beaufighters also based in the north, and their long-range strafing of Japanese bases.

It delves into a number of issues that I had never previously found satisfactory answers for. Particularly, the experience levels of the Australian/British pilots and their tactics in theater, the CSU failures on the Spitfires, the reliability issues with the Hispano and the problems with running short of fuel on so many missions.

Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back