De Havilland Mosquito Launch Spectacular 29 September 2012

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys, although there are already two threads about the Mossie flying, I thought I'd make a new one to cover the event itself, since in time I hope pictures will appear here.

To begin with, it was a very special day, as I've written in other forums, quite emotional for some. I saw grown men cry at the sight of the Mossie zoom by on its first fly past. No word of a lie. A guy standing near me was openly weeping as it blasted by. The pilot, Keith Skilling flew that machine like there was no tomorrow; boy, he was low and faaaast! You wouldn't have thought that the aeroplane had only flown for the first time two days earlier! After its first flight I could still smell the fresh paint applied to its engine cowls from the night before! (Take a look at the images of it over the last few days and you'll see its engine cowls were not painted during its first flights.)

During the show I wore two caps, my "just happy to be here and I'm really enjoying myself" one and my "take some photos for the magazine - yours sincerely, The Editor" one, so I got up close with some of the veterans that attended; they were really enjoying themselves and some of them were quite unnerved by all the attention.

Apart from the Mossie flying, three times throughout the day and in formation with a Vampire during its second display and a Spitfire, Mustang and Kittyhawk during its last, the rest of the flying was as you'd expect for an event like this. Despite being enjoyable to watch; all attention was on the Mosquito at all times. After its first flight there was a bunch of re-enactors; Germans, Americans and Brits battling it out, but no one was paying them any attention when the Mossie taxied back and parked right next to the crowd line! The "Germans" did get their photos taken with "ze vooden vunder".

I've been to quite a few events like this in my life in a number of different countries, but this one was unique. Thanks to all for making it happen.

:)

Here's a few that I've played around with; my ground-to-airs were of a pretty poor quality, so a bit of artistic trickery has been used.

MosquitoDay268sm_zpsb8b9bfb2.jpg

This is local De Havilland enthusiast and restorer of fine pre-WW2 De Havilland aircraft, Stan Smith and his Moth Minor

MosquitoDay053sm_zpsa536076e.jpg

Mossie

MosquitoDay078sm_zps451d9837.jpg

MosquitoDay090sm_zpseb4c51aa.jpg

MosquitoDay092sm_zps218ceb03.jpg

MosquitoDay187sm_zps79d6fa9b.jpg

MosquitoDay198sm_zps2ddfc6d1.jpg

MosquitoDay231sm_zps9929a25f.jpg

MosquitoDay201sm_zpsdacff381.jpg

MosquitoDay208sm_zpscae7eb73.jpg

More to come

Last edited:
Ply-balsa-ply

MosquitoDay026sm_zps86371901.jpg

Warbirds

MosquitoDay031sm_zps733a4de0.jpg

MosquitoDay043sm_zps97b5ab4c.jpg

MosquitoDay006sm_zpsdb10a17b.jpg

MosquitoDay237sm_zps1e64c080.jpg

A very special day for all the veterans who turned out for the event. These guys were all Mossie aircrew during the war, so were accorded the honours they deserve.

MosquitoDay212sm_zps82e22e5e.jpg

MosquitoDay215sm_zpscdcb4185.jpg

MosquitoDay251sm_zpsa42e79e0.jpg

Pilot Keith Skilling honouring the veterans with co-pilot David Phillips at left

MosquitoDay245sm_zps524591d7.jpg

MosquitoDay188sm_zps4916c92e.jpg

More coming soon, including some of the other aircraft that participated in the day and more of the Mosquito.

Last edited:
Hi Evan, yep, rather than a 'restoration' as people call it, it's a new build, although there are smaller surviving metal components that are original to KA114. Glynn Powell built the moulds from DH drawings, without which there would be no Mossie. A thing of beauty.

Ah, this is Glyn Powell's...now I know what we're talking about! Have a clipping from a 1996 'Classic Wings Downunder' when the fueslage jigs were just about finished.

Do you reckon he'll make a start on NZ2308 soon (which he owns)?

No worries guys. Had the time of my life there. very moving event.

Do you reckon he'll make a start on NZ2308 soon (which he owns)?

Yep, I saw a recent image and its progressing quite well. Still a few years off flying, but its moving along. As far as I know he's doing it in RNZAF post war colours.

Here are a few more from the event of some of the other attendees.

Isaacs Fury

MosquitoDay024sm_zps7286f5a4.jpg

MosquitoDay023sm_zpsba0855da.jpg

Bird Dog

MosquitoDay007sm_zps77e9c337.jpg

Messenger

MosquitoDay184sm_zpsa6b16d6c.jpg

Aaaah... De Havilland...

MosquitoDay256sm_zps665bf03b.jpg

MosquitoDay069sm_zps30f26b05.jpg

MosquitoDay068sm_zps3fcc1dbb.jpg

MosquitoDay075sm_zps130b5f8e.jpg

MosquitoDay081sm_zps2270cef3.jpg

MosquitoDay111sm_zps9e27f685.jpg

MosquitoDay112sm_zps8a493a87.jpg

MosquitoDay121sm_zpsd049cb1e.jpg

More to come

Yep, thanks Grant!

Great news re NZ2308, and also great to see a SLUF (aka 'Blunty') on the NZ airshow circuit! (Love those things :) )

Who's Spitty is that btw?

Thanks guys. Evan the Spit is Doug Brooker's; he's based at Ardmore and has crashed it twice (!) since he's had it in the country. It's in the markings of NZer Sqn Ldr Colin Gray, New Zealand's highest scoring ace. The Blunty is one of two flying in the country at the moment, the other's based at Chch. Obviously ones that had rework done on their spars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back