Death of Erich Hartmann

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Moist" Mother Russia? :lol:

I've met a few Russians. I even drank with some sailors on a couple of occasions. They were a little different than most of the guys I've met from the more western countries, but good fellas. Once you knew how to take them, there were really no problems. The officers and NCO's wore hats the size of dinner plates, but all in all they were alright guys. :lol:

The Russian Air Force officers have those big hats for landing their Hinds on.

My first experience with Russians was back in 1988 when me and my family took the Troop Train from Frankfurt, Germany to East Berlin. I remember my father waking me up at like 3 in the morning while the Russian soldiers searched out train. It was crazy.

I dated a Russian girl once before I met my wife. I broke up with her cheated on me with another soldier an got pregnant and herpies! The fact that she got herpies from it made up for the fact that she cheated on me and I was no longer mad about it. I actually felt sorry for her because the soldier just packed up and left for the US without leaving an address or anything. I still see her everyonce in a while in town.

Yes I most certainly did. I am just glad she told me right after the fact so I did not have a chance of getting herpies. For all its worth though she was a very pretty girl.

On a ...not so...random note, I work with a Russian from Siberia. He's f*ckin' weird to put it nicely.

I live in a highly russian-eastern bloc area, I see them get off the boat, get on our welfare system, get their teeth fixed free, food stamps, the state pay's for an interperter for every medical visit, state payed tutor for the childeren, US government helps them open a business, HIGH Russian crime rate, they dont respect americans and are very rude. christ were do I stop. I say close the US borders to immigration....
and by the way DerAdlerIstGelandet I outbid you on the Hartmann photo, also was bidding on the Galland photo but gave up on it to outmax you on the Hartmann photo as I really wanted it.....is a nice photo, how was the galland 109 photo?
Kevin

I have to jump in here.

Yes, the Russian committed attrocities. My bet is that if you had losy 20 million people to the Germans, you would, too if given the chance. If you say you wouldn't, then I can state with great accuracy that you have never been in combat.

The Germans committed attricities upon almost everyone, including Germans, Let's remember that 6 million Germans died in the concentration camps along with the Jews and other prisoners.

The Americanc committed attricities. So did the British.

The main difference is the number of people killed inappropriately. I;d say the germans have a lock on that one, followed by the Japanese. Then amybe the Russians, though their attrocities were against themselves to a greater degree than anyone else. Yes, they were brutal, but that stopped when the war stopped.

Was it justified? No. Should the purpetrators have had to pay? Yes. Did they? No.

There is no justice.

GregP said:
I have to jump in here.

Yes, the Russian committed attrocities. My bet is that if you had losy 20 million people to the Germans, you would, too if given the chance. If you say you wouldn't, then I can state with great accuracy that you have never been in combat.

The Germans committed attricities upon almost everyone, including Germans, Let's remember that 6 million Germans died in the concentration camps along with the Jews and other prisoners.

The Americanc committed attricities. So did the British.

The main difference is the number of people killed inappropriately. I;d say the Germans have a lock on that one, followed by the Japanese. Then amybe the Russians, though their attrocities were against themselves to a greater degree than anyone else. Yes, they were brutal, but that stopped when the war stopped.

Was it justified? No. Should the purpetrators have had to pay? Yes. Did they? No.

There is no justice.

I'd say you have to put it in perspective. The Germans and Japanese were blatant about the atrocities they committed based on what they felt about those they murdered. For the Russians, it was a matter of "payback" for those 20 million. Atrocities committed by the allies were indeed payback but did not have the initial blatancy as perpetuated by the Germans and Japanese. To say as a blanket statement that the perpetrators got away with murder is not true. Although you have Nuremberg as the centerpiece in dealing with the Germans, many Japanese were tried and executed for their crimes too.

My wife's grandfather was on MacArthur's Staff wand was taken prisoner by the Japanese and held for the duration of the war. In 1946 he testified against the CO and lead NCO at the last camp he was held at, both men were hung for their crimes.

Now were all perpetrators brought to justice? No, many got away with murder and that's where those who survived these atrocities should keep reminding the world about the darkest side of man ensuring these atrocities aren't committed again.

The thing that seems unfair about the Soviets is that they got away with their villainous deeds without suffering the various humilitations inflicted on their fellow evil-doers the Japanese and Germans. Despite Soviet atrocities and expansionistic policies they were not defeated and occupied and were considered a great power following the war. The Soviets were not forced to constantly face their past crimes and retained some independence.

Did this thread just pop up from a year ago? Hummm

I think that harboring ill will toward ANYONE by association of their national origin is wrong. It just breeds hate.
You can not hold a young Russian, German etc. accountable for what their ancestors did. I know we all say that we would not do that, but somehow in some ways many people do anyway.
If people behave badly it is on their own account, not their parents - otherwise you leave them an excuse for their behavior.
I have family that were on all sides of WW2.
My mother is English, one of my grandmothers was Dutch Jew, one of my grandfathers was German, my wife is Russian/ Lithuanian and German, I share a recent common ancestor with Oberfeldwebel Otto Schultz (JG27). My father was USAF. My earliest ancestors in the Americas pushed the natives out of the Hudson River Valley.
I know that I can not blame my mom for Bomber Harris.
Jeez, if I was accountable for my national origins I'd have to shoot myself! :)
It would be hard for anyone to escape their genealogy.
The only thing that leaves me feeling embarrassed is that my last name is FRENCH! jk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back