Death of Erich Hartmann

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the lancaster kicks ass said:
and the west is just as much at fault for the cold war, fact is, no one made a huge effort to stop it untill the 80s, as such both side carry some blame........

Ya know Lanc, that is one of the most brilliant things I've read from you, and I'm not kidding! 8)

Yes, it wasn't until the 1980s when the "Bear" was stared down and appeasement was ended that things changed. I think the leaders prior were either scared or worried about public opinion about confronting the Soviets!

I agree with you. Until the 80's it just seemed as a big showdown. Good Old Reagan with this "Tear Down this Wall" and we are not playing games anymore policy brought an end to the Cold War.

And as what you were saying as they seem to back down when confronted, I completely agree. I think they new that in all out war they would have to confront the US, Britain, Germany, France, Canada, Australia and well basically the whole free world and in the end the only they could hope for was a drawn out conflict. I truely think they too were afraid of the final outcome. No one wants Nuclear Winter.

I have worked with Russian air crews when I was in Kosovo and they all seemed all right to me. The were actually kind of funny. There commander walked around the Pristina Airfield with a hat that was so huge. It was like he was using it to show how important he was. Everytime we stayed with them they tried to feed us on a liquid diet of Vodka!

I've worked with a few in CA when we put together a Mig-15 and a Mig-21. We would hire former Russian test pilots to do the first flight in these aircraft. They seemed pretty decent and were very funny.

I was at a party with one guy. "Yuri" lived in San Diego - that night he polished off a whole bottle of Absolute without batting an eye. He said he "Liked Finnish Vodka and women."

I dated a Russian girl onse here in Ansbach, Germany. She was a cute petite small girl but here name did not match her body. Her name was "Olga". Anyhow things were great until she cheated on me with another soldier and got pregnant. So I dumped her. Anyhow she got what she deserved he packed up and left back for the States. He did not leave an address or phone number and now she is stuck with his kid. Shortly after this I started dating my now wife!

I have some neat prints of -109's that were autographed by him. A nice addition to my art collection.

When I was in Moscow, the city was loaded with pretty woman. I found it amusing that the blondes over there were all intelligent and educated. No blond jokes applied.

:))

Flyboy, going back to the other page.

the viet nam stench was iniatiated by the idiot Harry Truman to come to the beleagured and stupid French who were getting butt swiped by the VC which they needed to be. because of our aid to the French and trying to close down Ho Chi Mingh with a bullet to the head our kind joker Kennedy and clan got us further into dog shit. My brother inlaw receiving his almost death wounds in 68, shrapnel still comes out of his body onto his bed every disqusting morning, and later myself active in that good for nothing conflict.....and thank goodness for those lovly guys to the vc's north, china coming to the norths aid. you could always tell a dead chinaman by his size. they were always physically taller that the vietnam's efforts.

sorry I am getting way to off topic

Erich said:
Flyboy, going back to the other page.

the viet nam stench was iniatiated by the idiot Harry Truman to come to the beleagured and stupid French who were getting butt swiped by the VC which they needed to be. because of our aid to the French and trying to close down Ho Chi Mingh with a bullet to the head our kind joker Kennedy and clan got us further into dog s**t. My brother inlaw receiving his almost death wounds in 68, shrapnel still comes out of his body onto his bed every disqusting morning, and later myself active in that good for nothing conflict.....and thank goodness for those lovly guys to the vc's north, china coming to the norths aid. you could always tell a dead chinaman by his size. they were always physically taller that the vietnam's efforts.

sorry I am getting way to off topic

YEP! My brother made it though 2 tours unscathed physically, my ex-brother in law got half his kidneys shot away....

My brother said the same thing about the Chinese, they were bigger than the average Vietnamese. He told me he heard a story of one being captured at Firebase Rodreguez (I guess it was close to the DMZ). A little indo-china payback, they cut his head off and placed it on a pole. :shock:

I agree Hartmann was a briliant fighter pilot. I am currently trying to obtain 2 pictures one of Hartmann and one of Galland and both are autographed. Will know in a couple of days if Im getting them.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I have worked with Russian air crews when I was in Kosovo and they all seemed all right to me. The were actually kind of funny. There commander walked around the Pristina Airfield with a hat that was so huge. It was like he was using it to show how important he was. Everytime we stayed with them they tried to feed us on a liquid diet of Vodka!

You know what i say about the Russians?

You can lead Ivan to water, but you can never get him to stop drinking his vodka! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back