Decal Scale Compatibilities.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
This is going to be a future oddball scheme build but as yet, I can't find the correct yellow numbers in 1/48 scale.
p-39q1.JPG

Knowing that the tail serial numbers are 8"(I hope), I'm thinking the plane number is 12"(I guess). Soooooo, going on that, am I correct in saying that 12" and 18" number in 1/72 scale would suffice? Orrrrrr, I could print off the decals on clear decal sheet. I've downloaded Amarillo USAF and Gunplay fonts from SimmersPaintshop.com. The former is a 45° font, not right for the Z and 3 and the latter is not correct for the 1. I realize it will take several layers to get sufficient opacity.
z341.JPG

One last thing. As my printer is out of commission right now, I am unable to do this but has anyone ever done a test to figure out font size compared to 1/48 letter and number size. As in Font size 48 would give me 18" letters and numbers, Font 22 gives me 8", etc., or do printers have different size characteristics. I eagerly await your responses and many thanks in advance.

Geo

If a font is used in a graphics program, like Corel which is what I use, it can be sized accurately.
Now if you want to email me the font you are using, I can take it, or any other stuff you need and give it back to you as a pdf, which will be to size when printing.

Send me you email addy in a PM and I will return that with one from me, and Bob's your uncle.

You can print them, but you'll need at least two overlayed on top of each other, to achieve even approaching acceptable density.
Alternatively, there is a sheet available from a UK source. I'll check the details and get back to you.

Found them Geo.
There are a number of sheets/styles/colours for USAAF numbers/letters made by Fantasy Print Shop, with multiple sizes per sheet, at reasonable prices (£2.95 to £5 approx).
If you can't source them locally, then they are available from The Aviation Hobby Shop, in UK.

Aaaaannddd purchased. Thank you very much Terry. I will have to cobble the 7's together to make a Z, but no biggie. Bill, running on 3hrs sleep in 2 days. When I get up, I'll post you the particulars. No rush and very much appreciated.

Geo

Geo, what I usually do is create the correct size in Photoshop. 12 inch letters in 1:48 scale would be exactly 1/4 inch high. pdf your numbers from Word or equivalent or scan from a picture then cut and paste it into your imaging software as a new file. I would set up a convenient grid, in this case at .25" and then expand the pasted picture, keeping the aspect ratio fixed, until it is the correct size. Then print the file onto your decal paper at full size and it should be perfectly to scale.

Geo, FYI............. so you can calculate what you are going to type and the sizes you need to match.

One Point of letter height is 1/72 (.0139") of an inch, so for a one inch tall letter you need to type 72 points in height.
So with this you can calculate how tall in inches. 1/4" = 72/4 = 18 points in type height.
12" letters would be 12 times 72 points (864)/48 Scale = 18 points.
24", double it, 36 points.

One point of letter height is .3528mm in height, so for a 25.4mm tall letter you need to type at 72 points.
So with this you can calculate how tall in mm! 10mm/.3528 = 28.34 points.

Now know this. Letter height in Typography circles in also known as "X" height.
Mainly because you can measure the height of the Capital "X" as it has No round parts.

So it's not what is scale, as much as what point size to make what you need.
That is the long and short of it mate.

Bill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back