December 5, 1944 over the Reich (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Maximowitz - Feldwebel Schmidt is the guy involved, according to Tony Woods lists.

B-17 I have done work for many research historians and writers with my database. am working on two night fighter volumes both different and also on a book that one cousin served in a LW day fighter unit mentioned above

Bill went back and looked at a half dozen combat reports from the 357th fg, they all seemed to have taken place west and north of Berlin indicating again and joining in the annihilation of JG 1

Mark are you wanting confirmation of US heavies lost on the 5 December or ...... ?

Hiyas Erich,

No, I'm helping a German mate identify the B-17 claimed by the jet. (The claim is in the Tony Woods file for Reich West, late '44, 5 December, think it's the second-last one listed for that date in the supplementals: 05.12.44 Fw. Schmidt 1./KG 51 B-17 05 Ost/GP-35: 1.800 m. 13.08 Film C. 2027/II Anerk: Nr. -).

I think I've got it narrowed down to two possibilities: 44-8518*of the 452nd BG or 43-38693*of the 91st BG. The secondary documents I've seen thus far have both coming down at Talgewilsten, west of Lingen. That appears to be bollocks, as the two small towns involved (Talge and Wilsten), both are to the east and southeast of Lingen, respectively. I suspect wire-crossing in the reporting, as JG 26 claimed a B-17 west of Lingen at 13:36. Schmidt's claim is pretty much directly over Wilsten, and footnote.com says (in the Quick Look window) that a Fort came down at Talge-Wilsten at 13:10.

So, I guess either I or my mate need to pony up for the two MACRs involved, or find someone with access to footnote.

Hope you're rippin' it up E,

Mark

Hiyas Erich,

No, I'm helping a German mate identify the B-17 claimed by the jet. (The claim is in the Tony Woods file for Reich West, late '44, 5 December, think it's the second-last one listed for that date in the supplementals: 05.12.44 Fw. Schmidt 1./KG 51 B-17 05 Ost/GP-35: 1.800 m. 13.08 Film C. 2027/II Anerk: Nr. -).

I think I've got it narrowed down to two possibilities: 44-8518*of the 452nd BG or 43-38693*of the 91st BG. The secondary documents I've seen thus far have both coming down at Talgewilsten, west of Lingen. That appears to be bollocks, as the two small towns involved (Talge and Wilsten), both are to the east and southeast of Lingen, respectively. I suspect wire-crossing in the reporting, as JG 26 claimed a B-17 west of Lingen at 13:36. Schmidt's claim is pretty much directly over Wilsten, and footnote.com says (in the Quick Look window) that a Fort came down at Talge-Wilsten at 13:10.

So, I guess either I or my mate need to pony up for the two MACRs involved, or find someone with access to footnote.

Hope you're rippin' it up E,

Mark

The challenge is that MACRs are often in the vein of " when I last saw him" (Blow up, leave formation on fire, drop out of formation, etc), as well as the observer frequently not the navigator who's logs (if he saw it) will reflect more precise locations and times. The LW K reports are much more reliable but that late in the war they are frequently missing.

When I get time I may take a look when I get back from 355th Reunion.

Thanks D - the MACRs in this case do give information beyond "last seen at..."

Which is rather upsetting in its own way - both of the crews appear to have been alone over Germany for two hours, and had almost reached Dutch territory when shot down. I'm reminded of the scene in Memphis Belle where one of the gunners sees another aircraft dropping out of formation and says "The bogey-man's gonna get 'em."

I just can't imagine what those boys went through.

Thanks D - the MACRs in this case do give information beyond "last seen at..."

Which is rather upsetting in its own way - both of the crews appear to have been alone over Germany for two hours, and had almost reached Dutch territory when shot down. I'm reminded of the scene in Memphis Belle where one of the gunners sees another aircraft dropping out of formation and says "The bogey-man's gonna get 'em."

I just can't imagine what those boys went through.

Funny thing - still a lot of a/c that were 'shot down' did make it back - in this case maybe to friendly territory. Do you have a MACR that you think fits? I can look into it.

Thanks for the offer Dragondog, but I'm pretty sure both the Forts involved came down - only question (currently...) is which came down where.

Both were on their own, one being claimed at about 10,000 feet, the other at barely 6,000. There's a tantalising glimpse of the crash time and place (13:10, Talge-Wilsten) on footnote.com, but I haven't yet found a way in which I can trick it to show me the tail number at the same time.

My mate says he's going to download both the MACRs and let me know what he finds - will post here.

Cheers,

Mark

Cracked it - 44-8518 was brought down by JG 26 just WSW of Lingen at 1326, 43-38693 fell victim to the KG 51 jet at 1308 just ESE of Lingen.

Thanks for the info., I hope they declassify the raids, there is a man in Langendiebach that has the info in his attic but I'm still waiting for a reply!

for 12/5/44 it depends on what unit .......... where was the 357th fg this date possibly to the north of the area I was interested in ??

Erich - as you know all the big battles were from just south of Berlin, Berlin, Eberswalde, Steinhude Lake.

The 357th was mostly Berlin toward Steinhuder Lake - similar to 355th.

what i have says ~20 miles North of Berlin. so this might have been at the beginning of the fight. the 362nd Sq was out front when they first ran into attacking 190s.

Last edited:
Bill is correct but also north of Berlin, over the big city and to the east where JG 301 was located. JG 1 fought to the north and engaged by several different US fg's..........hopeful this is of some help. I see this thread taking shape again which is good.

yes KIA and wounded plus hurt or unhurt while bailing out. will have to check a couple sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back