Detroit?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grew up outside Detroit (Ann Arbor) in the '50's/60's and spent a lot of time going to the Motor City. It was truly beautiful back then, the "Paris of the Midwest", to see it now is painful, it will bring tears to my eyes if I'm not careful. Went back in 2014, managed to get down to the old Packard plant, was really stressing not having bullet proof glass, or just a plain out and out armored car. To see the once mighty "Arsenal of Democracy" reduced to this, my kids didn't believe me until we went through old history books and some family photos.

As to why the auto industry settled there, I think the reasons were already stated, the copper and iron ore of northern Michigan and Minnesota certainly helped. Although, around 1915, Indianapolis was rivaling Detroit for car companies. Just a useless fact I guess.

Not to get political but let's just say, the party that has been in power there for decades has a lot of explaining to do for the state of the city.

Because even though I've been gone for over 30 years, I'm still passionate about the area I grew up in, so pardon me for pointing out the reason that destroyed something I hold dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back