10 Cars That Sank Detroit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Saw that today - I had 2 Pintos. They actually ran well after you fixed about 10 chronic problems! The last one I owned had an after market air conditioning system that actually formed ice at the vents if it was run too long! At the same time in stop and go traffic, the compressor robbed so much power from the engine (it was an automatic) it would barely get over 40 MPH!

My first one with a 1600 CC engine ran like a champ. 30 MPG and I put 75000 miles on it in 2 years! In one day a friend and I drove from LA to San Diego and then up to Pismo Beach!

I had a '74 Cutlass Supreme that was a great car. Too bad GM couldn't keep up the quality.

What most people this side of the pond cannot understand is that most of these companies seem to have problems with by US standards smaller cars. However most of the companies produce good small cars in Europe. Why didn't they increase production in Europe for export which would keep the dealerships going and profits up while retooling / designing new cars in the USA.

The Ford lineup in Europe is second to none in value and as good as the best in quality. The Mondeo is the car of the year in most peoples books, my neighbour has bought the new Fiesta and its a very smart car, plus if you want a small car, the Ka has just been replaced with a new design . On top of this the Focus (different to the US version) has been the best seller for years.
GM also do an excellent range of cars with some innovative designs yet I understand from people I know in the USA that they either don't exist in the USA or are very hard to find.

There must be some logic somewhere but damned if I can find it.

I drive diesel pick up trucks. GM and Dodge have built the best in the world for my preferences. As far as American cars go I can only think of a handful that are worth a dang to me. Cadillac makes a good product and Chevy has a couple of great cars and that is it. Honda and Toyota just beats the hell out of Detroit. I am seriously considering an Audi. How does Audi rate, I wonder?

My x F-N-Law got me a "great" deal on a 1980 olds Cutlass Diesel, it was a converted gas V8 which was a total PIECE OF SH** until my dad and I thru a 69 Rocket V8 into it which we had rebuilt a couple times. That diesel V8 had to have been the worst engine out there.:evil:

Well Audi's are pretty cool cars, don't let the warranty expire. I remember when the A4 first came out they had issues with the trannies,get this 10k$s for a new one plus your chance of finding one in the junk yard was nill. I have a 2005 VW Touareg V8 which so far has been pretty good but an oil change is a mandatory 8 qts of synthetic plus 21$s for a cannister type filter..,can't get windshield wipers from your local Pep boys, everything is from a dealer, reason I'm saying this is VW and Audi share items. If you can afford it fine, if not your wallet will scream for mercy.

I would switch the Cavalier with the Citation. My mom drove a Cavalier for 12 years and wasn't a problem. But the Citation.......ugghhh!

OMG, the Citation! My step-dad had one of those junkers. Glider makes a good point. I had a Ford Fiesta when I was overseas and loved it. Good car with a good value. The Sierra was the Euro version of the Taurus, but the Sierra looked less boxy and had some nice lines. I find it funny that they don't keep the same tooling for the US and Europe. The Sierra was nice enough I would have bought one here, but as a Taurus, it looked ugly.

Plus cars like the Cortina and others would be good cars here too.

Amsel, I have a 2000 Silverado with the small V8.

Im well over 150,000 miles on it and hardly anything goes wrong, with the exception of what would commonly break after years of use.

I am extremely happy with it and will buy another truck from Chevy when this thing finally gives up the ghost.

Too bad Ford and GM cant apply their lessons learned from their truck divisions, over to their small car design teams.

When I worked at Lockheed we had a Citation in our department's car fleet. One of my counterparts and I actually tried to blow it up so the department could get another car. We put rocks in the carburetor and the thing kept running despite the fact it had parts under the dash board falling out on a daily basis! One of our other fellow employees finally wrecked it during a 5 car pile up on the Santa Ana Freeway.

I had a Festiva, one of the best cars I ever owned till now. 40 mpg, air conditioning, it was able to do 80 MPH with no problem. Got rid of it after my last divorce in 1997, got a Mustang GT, had to do the single macho thing.:rolleyes:

The Ford Explorer.....

One of most popular SUVs ever, but I guess it's on the list because it started a craze for 4WD gas guzzlers.

But it's a great vehicle, I own two of them. A '98 with 175,000 miles that I gave to my son at college and a new one that I bought two weeks ago.

How bad is the auto industry hurting? I paid about $4500 less for the new one (a comparably equipped Eddie Bauer) than I paid back in '98.

Needless to say, now is a great time to buy a vehicle.

TO

Pb, I was gonna say the Vega - God what junk! Except for the Cosworth edition.

I always hated the fact that Detroit went bigger in the '70s with the nice small cars - Mustang, Camaro, Cougar, Charger, etc. As they got larger so the style was lost.

As far as European, how many hands for the Opel Cadet?

This one?

Attachments

• Opel_Kadett_A_62-65_30.jpg
    Opel_Kadett_A_62-65_30.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 648

Users who are viewing this thread

Back