did you know the A5M and Ki-27 were the same aircraft?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Clayton Magnet, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Clayton Magnet

Nakajima Ki-27 WW II Aircraft "Identification of …:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpfKGjqAqlM
    Surprisingly bad intelegence on aircraft identification. I would like to know which fighter they thought was a P-36 knock off.
    funny none the less

2. razor1uk

razor1uk Well-Known Member

Tamago no Chie
    #2 razor1uk, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Well early on in the war the US forces were quite myopic to what aerial equipments they might face from Japan, even ignoring the reports from the Flying Tigers volunteers as being delusional and/or influenced by Japanese propaganda.

To me the acrual descriptions of IJA IJN A/C could be the Nate, the A5M2, the Oscar the Zero, all different A/C's. manufacturers and designs; although given the few Pacific non Flying Tiger reports that led to this film, when eager pilots jump to conclusions with no factual basis to base upon, this is what you'd get.

3. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    Of course Nakajima Ki-27 and Mitsubishi A5M were two different planes. Each of them was of different shape of the fuselage and wings etc... A5M was of eliptic wings and tails with non retractable landing gear. The cockpit was of "open" type with a windshield only.Unless it would be the A5M2 Model 22 with the "close" cockpit. The Ki-27 was of a trapezoidal in shape wings with rounded wing tips. Her horizontal stabilizers and elevators were of similar to A5M eliptical shape but the fin and rudder weren't. The landing gear was also non retractable and quite similar to the Mitsubishi plane. The cockpit of "close" type with a slided back central part. However flying with the slided back cockpit conopy it could seem like the one of the "open"type. Looking at the film I got an impression that the improved fighter looks like the Ki-27. And perhaps they could mean the plane. However the Nate didn't have the retractable landing gear and eliptic in shape wings.

Also I would like to pay your attention to the final scene at the end of the film where we can see groups of P-39 Airacobras flying.

4. Clayton Magnet

I was being facetious. Knowing the rivalry between IJNAS and the IJAAS, Im sure Mitsubishi and Nakajima would have had less than kind words for this film.