"Disk Cleanup"?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's a tool that will clean up (delete) your

i. downloaded program files
ii. temporary internet files
iii. offline web pages
iv. office setup files
v. recycle bin contents
vi. temporary files
vii. webclient/publisher temporary files

provided you have those options ticked. There are two other settings

viii. compress old files
ix. catalog files for the content indexer

but you can leave these unticked, unless for viii. you are really pushed for space. Use the top seven hand in hand with a disk defrag every week/month/whenever you feel it's necessary for good PC housekeeping. It will help prevent your PC from becoming cluttered with old files.

It won't harm your PC if that's what you were concerned about.

Last edited:
What Colin said, plus if your system seems a bit slow this could help speed it up again due to getting rid of unneccesary files and other junk accumulated over time.
One thing to remember is a Defrag may take quite a long time depending on drive size and the amount of clutter. I like to have the computer do this with nothing elso being done on the computer, but that's just me. Usually have it perform this task when I'm off doing something else.

Be careful downloading any free clean-up utilities. many install spyware/malware.

Cheers! Aye, that's what I was concerned about. I don't "read" computers as well as some others here....:oops: :lol:

"i. downloaded program files" Does this mean that I'll lose the QuickTime Player etc., etc...

Without a doubt Comiso. I usually get my free stuff form a reputable techie site and even then you have to be careful.
There is a lady that hosts a techie show over here in the states that has a lot of free stuff. She seems to know her stuff and from what I've listened to she researches her stuff pretty thoroughly. Do a google search of the name" Kim Komando" and you will find her web-site, look in the downloads section. She should have some free disk cleaning software out there.

"i. downloaded program files" Does this mean that I'll lose the QuickTime Player etc., etc...
No
you've loaded it. The util will simply get rid of the crap that the install left behind, Disk Cleanup doesn't go ANYWHERE NEAR your registry (you'll be pleased to hear)

I suppose it's pretty daunting if you've never used it before but you've nothing to worry about, your QT Player will work fine - so will everything else

The best freeware program I have come across in years is CCleaner. CCleaner - Home This program used to be called CrapCleaner. If you just use the default settings (if you don't know what your doing), it will clean up most of the junk on your pc, even the registry, which works GREAT. I don't work on anyone's pc without running this utility first.

Also, two of the best freeware programs for cleaning up Malware and Spyware are MalWareBytes and Spybot.
Malwarebytes.org
The home of Spybot-S&D!

Enjoy!

Have used Spybot Search and Destroy for 5 plus years, very effective. Also I have added AVAST for the past year and it does catch PUPS and trojans that the other protection has misses. I seem to go places that no sane person should go,and am notified regularly of programs trying to gain access. Tools you already have on microsoft based systems are disc cleanup as mentioned above, and Defrag, both should be available in the Start/ programs/ acessories /system tools tree.These will free up space and organize it for faster data reteival. Ialso recommend Kim Kommando website. Good safe software.ch

The best freeware program I have come across in years is CCleaner. CCleaner - Home This program used to be called CrapCleaner. If you just use the default settings (if you don't know what your doing), it will clean up most of the junk on your pc, even the registry, which works GREAT. I don't work on anyone's pc without running this utility first.

Also, two of the best freeware programs for cleaning up Malware and Spyware are MalWareBytes and Spybot.
Malwarebytes.org
The home of Spybot-S&D!

Enjoy!

I have MalwareBytes on one of my thumbdrives, its the first thing I install if I have to fix someone's PC. Also have had good luck with AVG Free. If you're running out of space, uninstalling unused programs is always the best option (Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs), but if you need something fast or routine, then the Disk Cleanup helps. Every website you go to, every program you install/uninstall, they all leave crumbs behind on your harddrive, usually in Temp folders somewhere. Disk cleanup gets rid of the crumbs. Its usually found in Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Cleanup.

Another good one for helping get some speed back into your PC is a program called "AutoRuns" (free, again!). This will list EVERYTHING that loads when your computer boots up: drivers, programs, viruses, etc. You can set an option to not show Windows programs (makes it easier to browse everything else), and then look for stuff like AIM, Yahoo, Google, Adobe, etc, programs that you may run, but don't necessarily need to start up when the computer starts. I usually find a half-dozen old links, too, with locations of "File Not Found" (meaning the program has been uninstalled), which I delete so the computer doesn't spend startup time trying to find these. Found the occasional virus, as well (anything in the startup that has long strings of random letters/numbers for a file-name...Google it, but its most likely a virus), and was able to track it down in the registry and the system folders and nuke that puppy.

:oops: Edited to post links....oops...

AVG Free - Download installation files documentation

Autoruns for Windows (haven't touched MSCONFIG since I found this one!)

Last edited:
+1 on CCleaner, Had issues with Malware, it disabled Norton on me when that nasty virus was going around a little while ago.

CCleaner is a really useful tool. Combine that with an anti virus program (I use AVG Free), a good firewall (I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite) as well as Spybot and Malware Cleaner (and Vundofix.exe). If you use most of those you should be fine, as long as you think about what you are downloading and viewing on your computer. Had a number of issues in the past but haven't had to reformat due to viruses for a couple of years (still do one every year or so to induce quicker running). Cleanup regularly plus scan everyday/week and you should a have a quick computer for longer.

Extremely grateful for all the answers fellas! :thumbright: I have noticed the Disk Cleanup before, but never used, because I didn't know what it did. I have myself Norton 360, which I got a wee while back. Do the spring cleaning this weekend then I think...

:notworthy:

I hate Disk cleanup tools it's really not necessary if you use your computer properly. Furthermore if you don't know how to use a computer properly, you probably also have no idea what the the tool will do and probably run into trouble one way or the other. If you're concerned by Internet files clogging your system, just use the "Remove history" function of Firefox or the equivalent on Internet explorer. Use a good malware detector (like adaware or so to get rid of spyware and use a good Virus checker (AVG or Avira) to get rid of other nasty things.
A good idea is to clean your personal folder manually.
Best idea to get rid of all these problems is using Linux as it's much cleaner then Windows (and no nasty malware and much faster), but that another matter.

Last edited:
I hate Disk cleanup tools it's really not necessary if you use your computer properly. Furthermore if you don't know how to use a computer properly, you probably also have no idea what the the tool will do and probably run into trouble one way or the other. If you're concerned by Internet files clogging your system, just use the "Remove history" function of Firefox or the equivalent on Internet explorer. Use a good malware detector (like adaware or so to get rid of spyware and use a good Virus checker (AVG or Avira) to get rid of other nasty things.
A good idea is to clean your personal folder manually.

Best idea to get rid of all these problems is using Linux as it's much cleaner than Windows
Marcel
That's not a terribly helpful analysis
I think you can use your PC properly and still employ a cleanup tool. Further, the reason the question was asked is that the originator stated that he "doesn't read computers as well as some others here" - an ideal reason to both ask about it and then use it, surely? Given his admitted level with PCs, why would cleaning his personal folders manually be any easier?

And if he's not too familiar with Windows utils then a UNIX-based system is going to be a cinch, right?

Last edited:
Marcel
That's not a terribly helpful analysis
I think you can use your PC properly and still employ a cleanup tool. Further, the reason the question was asked is that the originator stated that he "doesn't read computers as well as some others here" - an ideal reason to both ask about it and then use it, surely? Given his admitted level with PCs, why would cleaning his personal folders manually be any easier?

Okay, let's analyse what such a program would do (quoted from your post) and how you could do that without such a program:

i. downloaded program files Just choose "Delete recent history in Firefox' extra menu
ii. temporary internet filesJust choose "Delete recent history in Firefox' extra menu
iii. offline web pages Just choose "Delete recent history in Firefox' extra menu
iv. office setup files I have to give you that although I have no idea why you want to do that
v. recycle bin contents right-click on the trashcan picture and click "empty trash"
vi. temporary files empty the folder
vii. webclient/publisher temporary files empty the folder
Given hereby that you don't have to install a program (which also clutters your windows)

And if he's not too familiar with Windows utils then a UNIX-based system is going to be a cinch, right?
A common misconception that I shared until recently. I've always used Windows, but 2 months back I decided to try Linux. I found using a modern desktop distro like Ubuntu, Mint or OpenSUSE gives you an OS even easier than Windows. It's fully graphical, coming with all the software you need. Without all Window's problems: needs no nasty installers, no registry problems, no slowing down of the system, no registry problems, no viruses, no spyware, no leftover setup-files, no fragmentation. You see my point I think :) The only problem I see is that most Windows games don't work on Linux or need some more tweaking, which is probably too much for a common user. I fully changed to Linux now and see it's running faster than my Vista installation on the same computer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back