Dive Bombing improves accuracy how much?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to Historynet.com, Bari was planned by Von Richthofen, with the primary target designated as the docks, rather than the ships. The first waves of the attack stuck to that plan, however, as subsequent aircraft arrived, and the vulnerability and ease with which the ships could be attacked. According to the article "The Germans arrived at Bari on schedule. First Lieutenant Gustav Teuber, leading the first wave, could hardly believe his eyes. The docks were brilliantly lit; cranes stood out in sharp relief as they unloaded cargo from the ships' gaping holds, and the east jetty was packed with ships."
It appears at this stage that the Germans switched at least some of their aircraft to the "secondary " targets, the ships themselves. The Germans were unaware that some of the ships in the harbour were ammunition ships, and that one contained deadly mustard gas bombs. The hits on the ammunition ships set off a series of secondary explosions that had a devastating impact. A reasonable estimate on the number of aircraft switching their attentions to the moored shipping, might be 70 out of the 96 participating aircraft
I think it has to be conceded that that Bari was a devastating raid, well planned, researched, and executed. It would also be wrong to discount the Ju88 as anything other than a very capable weapon system, or that Dive bombing was not effective as a technique. However it's a real stretch to argue that the raid on Bari was somehow better or more efficient than many other precision raids. And I do not think the Ju88 or divebombing was even the main factor in the achievement of that success. To me the factors leading to the devastation in rough orfder of importance are
1) Poor planning and defence preparedness by the allies
2) Excessive congestion and backlogs in the port. Excess ship should have been sent out to sea rather than allow the port to back up so badly
3) Excellent recon by the Germans
4) The development of an excellent tactical plan by Richthofen
5) And finally, the efficiency of the Ju-88 and divebombing as a weapons platform.
However, before allowing ourselves to get too carried away about how remarkable this raidwe need to consider some things . The overwhelming majority of the damage wasn't even the direct result of Axis activity, most of the losses were due to explosions from the exploding allied ships. Moreover as a tonnage return per aircraft, the German raid was not that efficient at all...it was under 2000 tons per aircraft actually. If 70 aircraft were needed to sink 17 ships, and each aircraft was carrying 4 or 5 bombs each, that's an average hit ratio of about 1 bomb hit per 19 dropped, or that about 5.3% accuracy, assuming each ship was hit was hit at least once. But in fact it was less than that, since many of the ships were in fact sunk by the secondary explosions coming from the ammunition ships.
I cannot help comparing that effort to the achievements of the swordfish attack on the Italian fleet at Taranto in 1940. In that attack, 21 British aircraft carried attacked the Italian fleet (their primary target) and also the oil storage farms of the port. Some of the attackers carried flares and bombs, and one of the torpedo carrying aircraft was forced to turn back. Of the twenty one aircraft involved , I think 11 carried torpedoes, the remainder carried bombs or flares. Of these 11 torpedoes launched, there were at least 6 hits, for strike accuracy of 54.5%. The tonnage sunk or seriously damaged per aircraft was roughly 7500 tons per aircraft.

Whilst these comparisons are rough, and not of great value in terms of working out the real accuracy of each type, it also brings into sharp focus just where Bari lies in terms of its accuracy levels…….a long way down the scale to put it bluntly.

The Germans did have a heavy bomber, of sorts, the He 111. Of sorts because it carried the same weight of bombs as did the B-17 and B-24 over Germany.

Hello Milosh
the bomb load of He 111 also depended on distance and it didn't have the defensive firepower of US heavy bombers.

Juha

Wow, great topic; cool thread. When I think of bombing accuracy, I think CEP (circular error probability) is always the bottom line, and would like to find more CEP data like that which was quoted for the Stuka and JU-88. Certainly, the efficacy of dive-bombing versus traditional level bombing is well demonstrated by the various A/C performances at Midway. Exactly how many bomb hits did the B-17's score on maneuvering targets? To get results against ships, skip-bombing was just about the only way a horizontal bomber had much chance of doing harm. As other contributors mentioned, the nature of the target is VERY important when considering the effectiveness of various bombing techniques. To sink a well-armored battleship, you need torpedoes to let water in; dive-bombers and even skip bombers will mostly ding the armor or let in air....which won't do much harm. Against an unarmored ship, it is a vastly different story. Tactics have to be appropriate to the target engaged, or the results will almost always be disappointing.

Just as a comparison there was a raid from Malta that did a significant amount of damage to moored ships when ammunition exploded.

On the night 2/3 March 1942 16 Wellingtons in two waves one of 10 aircraft and the second of 6 attacked Palmero Harbour.

3 ships totalling just under 18,000 tons were sunk
4 cargo ships, 1 destroyer and 1 torpedo boat were heavily damaged
29 merchant ships, 3 destroyers and 1 torpedo boat were lightly damaged.

As an aside during the war my Mother was engaged to an officer of a Norwegian Merchant ship, whose claim to fame was closing a large part of Liverpool Docks for a day during the war. His vessel was being loaded with Ammunition when someone managed to set off one of the smoke floats that had been installed for its protection. The dockers thought the vessel had caught fire and everyone started putting as much distance as they could between themselves and the ship. Word spread and the port was closed to arrivals and some hours passed before everything was sorted out and its safe to say the authorities were not pleased with him.

He was killed later in the war when his ship was sunk by a U Boat.

As an aside during the war my Mother was engaged to an officer of a Norwegian Merchant ship, whose claim to fame was closing a large part of Liverpool Docks for a day during the war. His vessel was being loaded with Ammunition when someone managed to set off one of the smoke floats that had been installed for its protection. The dockers thought the vessel had caught fire and everyone started putting as much distance as they could between themselves and the ship. Word spread and the port was closed to arrivals and some hours passed before everything was sorted out and its safe to say the authorities were not pleased with him.

Not surprised the SS Malakand explosion flattened houses a mile away. My grandmother was in the womens ward of Bootle Hospital on Derby Rd Bootle waiting to give birth to my uncle when the Malakand went up. She reckoned it was the fastest birth on record, she gave birth in a ward with no glass in the windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back