Do dental probes help with modelling?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
I have seen some people use dental probes for modeling? I am looking at a set of 4 for 2 dollars. Worth it?

Sounds like a good price to me H. Probes are something I don't have, although I'll admit my need for them is rare I wouldn't mind a couple for the odd job here and there. In the UK, one single probe can cost the equivalent of $3 to $4, so a set of 4 at the price you've seen them is very good value - if you think you'll use them.

Exactly Matt - those and the back of a scalpel blade or the flat side of a pair of tweezers. As I mentioned, my 'need' for them is extremely rare, but they might be handy to have I suppose, although I doubt I'll ever bother getting any.
Harrison, don't get too hung up on thinking you need lots of tools - as Matt has already mentioned, get used to doing the basics and building skills - tools can be bought as and when you might neeed them, and you'll be surprised how liitle you actually do need, unless you're going in for the Master Surgeon classes from Wojtek!!
Many people think they must have the latest all singing all dancing gizmo to become a good modeller, airbrushes and compressors being a prime example. Wrong! It's skill, practice and experience which go together to make a good modeller, artist, photographer or whatever - the tools are just something that assist the process. Airbrushes, for example, are not a neccessity, they are a luxury, and quite often unneccessary at that. Before anyone buys an airbrush, they should learn about paints, brushes, thinners etc, and how they work, and practice with these first - it's amazing what can be done with a stick with bits of hair on the end, and they've been around for thousands of years, turning out some exceptionally brilliant artwork.
Bottom line is, don't think you have to rush out and buy a whole hardware store to do modelling! A good scalpel, tweezers, rags and some brushes are all that are needed most of the time!

Oy, thanks Terry, Pb, Matt and Dave.

Terry, it's just that with my P-40 I've realized many of these tools I'm look at would've been helpful :D

But I'll take your word!

I picked up a dental tool type thing from the hardware store for a couple of bucks and used a grinding wheel to make it into a panel scriber. Other than that I haven't found a use for them.

I both agree and disagree with what was said above about tools. It's true that you don't need to have every tool out there to be a good modeler, however I think it's important to experiment, not only with new tools, but new materials and techniques. Eventually you find the ones that work best for you.

I pikced up a set for a couple of bucks as well two years ago and maybe used it once.

By yourself a cup of coffee instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back