Do you cook? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SO..I've been thinking of a few that ALMOST have recipes..I'd list gumbo, but that has to be shown. I don't use grease for my roux. Same with etoufee'..

Mexican cornbread is great and pretty easy to list..prepare your favorite cornbread (from a mix or from scratch, no matter..I just can't stand sweet.), I use 2 packets of Corn-kits.

Then round-up, one can of corn (drain it), 8oz can of pimento(drained), you'll want 8 oz of Jalepenos(drain, again), 4 cups of cheddar(sharp) cheese(grated) and 16 oz of bacon(fried and chopped...save the grease)..chop one whole yellow onion and sautee' in the bacon grease..after that is done stir it all into the cornbread mix pour into a large pan (14x10??) OR cast iron, is usually best for cornbread. Bake to cornbread spec.(on package or from own recipe)

It is awesome! Pretty hot..if you have guests that don't care for the heat, per se..use green chiles, instead.

Les, as we all know..is a Yankee. It has been KILLIN me to figure out WTHell to cook for him. (he doesn't eat hot food?!??) :lol: Mamas Gumbo almost killed him...PUT he was polite and ate it.(Kudos!) even with the jalepeno sausage in it. Y'all would have been proud (I was) EVEN though it did rip his lower end UP!

My expertise(if you can call it that) is Mexican and Cajun..and different varations on a theme. :lol: My chili is confusing BUT good.

THOUGH I did make some awesome baked rigatoni with italian sausage for work last Friday..with stuffed catfish(for the Catholic co-workers) both came out awesome.

I LOVE to feed people, NOT unlike an Italian Grandmother. I can't cook small, though.

Njaco..he'd be PISSED that i'd messed-up a Nathan's..more likely than not.

I'm STILL kind of anti-hotdog. I skinned and processed meat for a season. I can just IMAGINE what COULD go wrong, if not careful. I wouldn't eat meat, for awhile..it took a bit to get back to sausage for SURE! WHICH is whacked..I LOVE being an omnivore!! Just too much imagination for one person.

AND for the record..(because I had to hear about it yesterday :lol: ) Les DOES cook AND clean...just not at the same time! Pretty awesome on the clean-up, too. I left last Saturday and gave he and the boys their 'mission'..asked for a Hoo-yah, and went to Wally world. When I came home..They(he) had done an amazing job.!

The one gripe I get about the cooking part....clean up. I'm the type that reads a recipe once then wings it...A pinch here, this looks good, etc. But the evidence is obvious! :(

I feel that a recipe is more of a suggestion than anything else..it art comes in the variations on a theme. :lol:

OH, I just though of something when I read that post, Njaco...Did you ever see the 'Home Improvment' episode of the "Man's Kitchen"??? :lol: THATS how to handle clean-up! :lol:

Its been so long I can't remember. But I'm sure they messed it up somehow. One of my favorite cooks, have several of his books and watched his show alot - Justin Wilson. "A little wine for the roux and alittle for the cook!"

Do I cook? Not if we want to remain alive and healthy. I'm best in the 'washing up' department, occasionally helping with chopping bits of meat and vegetables up.

I think I could just about handle Wilbur's recipe though...:)

Its been so long I can't remember. But I'm sure they messed it up somehow. One of my favorite cooks, have several of his books and watched his show alot - Justin Wilson. "A little wine for the roux and alittle for the cook!"

Justin Wilson was awesome to watch....so was the Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith.

Burn !!Try thisVindalho

This recipe comes from Goan Cookbook by Joyce Fernandes

description

Joyce Fernandes is a well known and accomplished authority on Goan cuisine. Do search out her book if you can find a copy (it was published in India so that might be easier said than done).

Vindalho is a good example of the marriage between Indian and Portuguese influences which typifies Goan cooking. Mind you, an authentic recipe like this produces a dish that is nothing remotely like the vindaloo you will find in your local curry house. Try it anyway!

ingredients

1 kg fatty pork (boneless)
1 tsp salt
25 dried red chillies
1 pod garlic [yes, that's the whole bulb, each clove trimmed and peeled - ed.]
6 [fresh] green chillies
1 tblsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp sugar
vinegar as necessary [the recipe doesn't state what sort of vinegar but I would use wine vinegar - ed.]

method
Cut the pork into large cubes. Wipe dry and apply salt.
Grind the next 5 ingredients using vinegar.
Marinate the pork in the spice paste for 2 hours or overnight leaving it in the fridge.
Arrange the marinated meat in a pan, sprinkle sugar and cover the pan.
Cook on a slow fire till the meat is soft.
Add [more] salt, vinegar and green chillies to taste if necessary.

dont mind a bit of spice had cujun spiced chicken, mash potato and corn for dinner yesterday ! dont remember the brand of cajun spices i used but it was plenty hot :angry4: and the wife eats chilli sauce with everything

YUM..love curry. The only thing ex-hubby could cook was curried beef, it was with potatoes and peas.

I'm more for the flavor of the pepper than the burn. I use a great deal of sarranos and green chilis, seedless.

Pablanos are good, too..just extremely mild. Good for stuffing, though.

The cool thing about cajun/maxi cooking is the spice is almost exactly the same..xcept the Mexi uses more cumin/chili powder and the cajun uses more cayenne/cinnamon/celery..the basics are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back