Do you remember...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You will notice, though, the relative smarts of the country cousins though. We realized long ago that standing perfectly still, in an open field, wearing a red coat, with crossed while belts was not a good idea when a 1000 Kentucky rifles, behind cotton bales were taking aim and shooting along with cannon loaded with grapeshot. After a few volleys, and with most of their senior officers dead or wounded, the British soldiers, having no orders to advance further or retreat, stood out in the open and were shot apart with grapeshot. After about 20 more minutes of bloodletting, General Lambert assumed command and eventually ordered a withdrawal.
Talk about sitting ducks!

No, no, no!!! You've got it all wrong. Total misreading of the tactical situation. The obvious point you're missing is that standing out in plain sight was simply a ruse to lull those rebellious ex-colonials into a false sense of security so that we could suddenly surprise them with....err...our rapid retreat (ok, fair enough, some stupid actions are simply indefensible! :oops:).

However, we learned our lesson for the assault on Fort Bowyer which went rather better than the New Orleans disaster.

Talk about memories... someone mentioned earlier that parents let the computers and electronic games raise the kids. There was just TV to raise the kids during the 60's and 70's. I can remember riding my bike 20 miles so I could see WW2 aircraft at the airport. Didn't have any friends that lived near me so I rode my bike everywhere, rain or shine. When we were together we played board games with war themes like Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Carrier Strike, Chopper Strike, Sub search, D&D... (back when you had a person who was the dungeon master) or just fly a kite. I believe if you want kids to grow up in similar conditions as us, take away the electronic gadgets and have them figure out the old games.

Funny but my kids didn't get to watch television until they were half way through grade school; instead we either read to them or had them read books.

A great way to pass a winter afternoon. Monopoly, Cluedo and Risk.
I much prefer those to computer games as you speak and interact with people:lol:
Cheers
John

We ARE getting old when we start reminiscing about our childhood, guys! :D
I remember paying at the local swamp with my buddies, buiding "caves" and "hunting" ducks with bow and arrows.
Playing with cars indoors when it was raining, and dad would get one of those big household-size boxes of matches and help me lay out roads and parking lots that my cars could drive on. :D
I had made lego houses and yes, I was so spoiled that I had a lego train set, which I them played with as well, incorporating it into the matchstick roads and cities. :)

And being the tomboy that I was, I had Action Man dolls instead of Barbie and Daisy dolls.
My friends wanted to play that their Barbies got married to my Action Man dolls and had a family and all, but of course the Action Man dolls attacked my friends' Barbie dolls and raped and tortured them before hanging them and moving on to the next target to be assaulted. Little monster I was! :D (And no, needless to sat that game wasn't very popular with my friends... :D )

Visiting friends in the winter, playing with train sets and cars, reading books together - I blame my old school pal Lars for getting me started on the Lord of the Rings books when I was 14, I've been reading that set regularly since then. :)
Getting into fights in the school yard and getting together with friends to plan and plot our revenge. And getting mighty surprised with myself, when I actually began winning some of the fights. From then on, the bullies left me alone, thank god! :D

Being taught by my grandmothers to play different card games, I still love to play cards today. I'm not very good at it, but I deeply enjoy it. :D
Playing different skill games on bicycle out on the road with friends, drawing more and more difficult "obstacles" on the road with chalk, things that we had to do to try and outdo each other - heheh, that was fun, except for when you went head first over the handlebars, because you f****d up. :D
Or bicycle racing and go-cart/soap box car racing - loved it! :D
There's plenty of happy memories alright. :)

It surely is becoming that way. See families at restuarants where the kids are playing electronic games, teens and adults are texting or whatever. They hardly even stop to eat

BikerGirl, I see you are in Denmark and you mentioned THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
I was married in Copenhagen and while there found a 1 book volume containing all three Tolkien books.
Lovely city - Copenhagen.

'When we go out with friends now, everyone puts their cell phone on the table, face down. First one to grab their phone, pays the bill. Very effective'...

Especially if you get a better phone too lol

We ARE getting old when we start reminiscing about our childhood, guys! :D
I remember paying at the local swamp with my buddies, buiding "caves" and "hunting" ducks with bow and arrows.
Playing with cars indoors when it was raining, and dad would get one of those big household-size boxes of matches and help me lay out roads and parking lots that my cars could drive on. :D
I had made lego houses and yes, I was so spoiled that I had a lego train set, which I them played with as well, incorporating it into the matchstick roads and cities. :)

And being the tomboy that I was, I had Action Man dolls instead of Barbie and Daisy dolls.
My friends wanted to play that their Barbies got married to my Action Man dolls and had a family and all, but of course the Action Man dolls attacked my friends' Barbie dolls and raped and tortured them before hanging them and moving on to the next target to be assaulted. Little monster I was! :D (And no, needless to sat that game wasn't very popular with my friends... :D )

Visiting friends in the winter, playing with train sets and cars, reading books together - I blame my old school pal Lars for getting me started on the Lord of the Rings books when I was 14, I've been reading that set regularly since then. :)
Getting into fights in the school yard and getting together with friends to plan and plot our revenge. And getting mighty surprised with myself, when I actually began winning some of the fights. From then on, the bullies left me alone, thank god! :D

Being taught by my grandmothers to play different card games, I still love to play cards today. I'm not very good at it, but I deeply enjoy it. :D
Playing different skill games on bicycle out on the road with friends, drawing more and more difficult "obstacles" on the road with chalk, things that we had to do to try and outdo each other - heheh, that was fun, except for when you went head first over the handlebars, because you f****d up. :D
Or bicycle racing and go-cart/soap box car racing - loved it! :D
There's plenty of happy memories alright. :)

Thats funny I had a Girl who was friend like you growing up(all tomboy) her name was Karen.We use to play alot of army in the acres of woods around the house.The bikes yep whilly bars and bananna seats over clays hills and then thru the bars on your face :) Boy we were bruttal to or bodies.The older boy down the street tell ya a nail will go through your shoe to your foot and you just had to find out! ouch!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back