Do you remember...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
...how many kids there used to be out playing, when you were a child yourself? All the different games, toys one made oneself etc...left to gout playing when the sun rose and came in for dinner and then back out again, not coming back in before it was almost dark and it was nothing wrong with it...

i used to play football all day unless i was modeling in the shed,i don't think kids are aloud to be kids now due to the pc crew

True! .....and they're not allowed out to play, unless they look like some dude or dudette from a SWAT team, with all the protection!

Street hockey from sun up to sundown all summer long, weekends in the winter. I lived between a river and a creek, lakes and the ocean were minutes away so plenty of fishing and I could start hunting within 5 minutes from leaving my house. Then I grew up, got a car, and noticed females. :twisted:

Geo

Heck, see a bunch of kids outside together these days, it's time to check your car, your windows, the street signs .....

I was out all the time and used to walk cycle miles to beaches. Spend hours making an off road bicycle to use racing in local woods.Climbing trees etc.
I had no money but, all the freedom in the world.
No one worried about paedophilia's then.

Spin forward to the paranoid 21st Century..there's a paedo behind every bush and a pervert behind every tree.
So, most kids are taken everywhere in cars, spend hours of facebook etc and have not enjoyed the simple freedoms that my generation did.

A real shame.

You're right there john. I did all those things in the '50s and '60's. I used to cycle to the airport virtually every day in the summer holidays (if not away on the Northumberland coast). It was around 15 miles each way, via the centre of Newcastle, and it would be dark by the time I got home.
Also, when even younger, my friends and I played cricket, either in the local park, or with chalked 'stumps' against a wall, until it was to dark to see the ball which was about to knock your teeth out!
A couple of years back, there was a TV advert set in the 1950s, made in the street where I now live, and this scene brought back many memories!

Attachments

• Advert TV 18 3 09 003.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 003.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 201
You're right there john. I did all those things in the '50s and '60's. I used to cycle to the airport virtually every day in the summer holidays (if not away on the Northumberland coast). It was around 15 miles each way, via the centre of Newcastle, and it would be dark by the time I got home.
Also, when even younger, my friends and I played cricket, either in the local park, or with chalked 'stumps' against a wall, until it was to dark to see the ball which was about to knock your teeth out!
A couple of years back, there was a TV advert set in the 1950s, made in the street where I now live, and this scene brought back many memories!

Great photo. I didn't realise cars were so advanced in 1950:lol:

Used to be football, wargames, cowboys and indians, snowball fights in the winter, building snow caves, swedish version of baseball, land hockey, ice hockey in the winter, steal.....harvest apples, strawberries....etc., etc...

Hiking and camping in the middle of no where too, forgot to mention that.
Swimming, making rafts, making river dams...
My kids laugh at the simplicity of my youth.

My kids played outside....a lot. It was either that or I would find them something to do-like wash and paint the inside of the garage................

Ah, the memories of exploring the hills and forests! Cycling, or walking, miles and miles, then camping in a tiny, heavy canvas tent, no groundsheet as such. Making rafts on the river (or sea), and makeshift igloos in winter!
BTW John, that pic was taken from my front door - the cars in the adjoining road, including my Jeep in the front, were moved there, out of shot (which was downhill, from the left). The advertising hoarding is covering a 'modern' window, and there was a dummy post box and other 'set dressing' here and there.
I've posted some of these before, but here's some of the 'set dressing', and the film crew, during a break in filming. The ad was for a well-known brand of curry sauce, or something similar.
Note the disused sign p;ost, to the right of the last pic - the crew painted it to blend with the brick work!!

Attachments

• Advert TV 18 3 09 001.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 001.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Advert TV 18 3 09 006.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 006.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Advert TV 18 3 09 005.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 005.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Advert TV 18 3 09 009.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 009.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Advert TV 18 3 09 011.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 011.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Advert TV 18 3 09 014.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 014.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Advert TV 18 3 09 017.jpg
    Advert TV 18 3 09 017.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Used to be football, wargames, cowboys and indians, snowball fights in the winter, building snow caves, swedish version of baseball, land hockey, ice hockey in the winter, steal.....harvest apples, strawberries....etc., etc...
"Swedish version of baseball"
I am almost afraid to ask!

When I was 6YO my parents left Chicago and moved out into Indian country (an area that eventually became Palos Hills). We had a house and a barn and electricity period. By summer we had horses and as such a good part of my day was taking care of them with Dad. Houses were far apart so it was tough to get groups of kids together. We made a baseball diamond in a field, various "Forts" from which we played war games, using slingshots to shoot crabapples. Camping was anywhere we could pitch a tent. The "backyard" was a 10,000 acre forest preserve with about 200mi of trails. Got my first real gun, a single-shot .22 t age 10YO. The squirrel, rabbit, rat, and crow population went into serious decline. At 12YO I got a 200cc Trimuph Tiger Mountain Cub motorcycle. Except for chores, I was gone from sunrise to sunset

Users who are viewing this thread

Back