Do you train any kind of a fighting sport?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay... Where should I start...

In school (1st - 6th Grade), I was the kind of guy who was always getting beaten up. (Yep, I was small and fat. My worst part was in 6th Grade, I was approx. 5' 2" and 156 lbs.)

I still got beaten up from 7th to the begining of 10th Grade, but the frequency of the "fights" lowered. (My body changed, also. I was 6' 1" and 150 lbs...)

Then it stopped later in 10th Grade. (I don't remember why, may be they finally got me really pissed off.) And from 10th Grade to my graduation, I was a nerd. (Well, without all that acne... :lol: )

I never started a fight, though. Here, school politics really sucks. If you're caught beating someone up (even if he started the fight), you get suspended.

Then I completed one year of an Industrial Drawing course. I didn't liked it so I left and took one year off. Then I heard about a school giving a course in Private Security. I took that course and liked it.

I got some courses about law, body guard techniques, basic prison guard techniques, private investigator technique and (my favorite part :evil4: ) self-defence.

In the self-defence course, I was trained in bare-hand fight, handcuff training, PR-24 (Police baton) and Expandable baton.

Now, I'm 6' 1", 166 lbs (yeah, I took some weight lately) and trained to fight... Bring 'em on ! :evil4:

I was a defenseman... A big one........

By the time I was 15, I was 6'5" and weighed about 180 lbs... At 18 I was 6'6", 235 and just plain mean..... I used to keep track of all my fights and results and penalties and what not.... We played alot of pond hockey in the winter, with it being right behind my house... We fought alot out there.....

All that craps in a box in the Attic somewhere..... Really kinda silly now that I think about it... I may pull that box down sometime and glance at that crap again lol......

Heres a pic of me playing in the Suffolk County PAL... (Police Athletic League) Imagine a kids league run and coached my mean ass cops.... A breeding ground for goons... They just LOVED me lol........

Attachments

• me_pal_1980_169.jpg
    me_pal_1980_169.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 418
Was on the fencing team, lo those many years ago, at an obscure little military college in the valley of Virginia; fenced sabre.

Flash forward to about three years ago and a kid down the street joined a local fencing club and told me that he was pretty well set on sabre as his weapon. So, kindly old curmudgeon that I am, I spent an evening a week for about a year sharpening (ha ha) his skills and working on tricks of the trade; now he's their number 1 sabre. Maybe he'll stay with it.

But that's all a little too exciting for my poor old bones. My idea of relaxation is going off to the range and poking holes in targets with my trusty M1911A1.

Rich

When I was in school I was more of the guy who was pretty much liked by everyone. I did not look the part with my long hair and goatee (after I got out of JROTC). But I was just a friendly guy. I actually only got into a couple of fights in Highschool.

lesofprimus said:
Heres a pic of me playing in the Suffolk County PAL... (Police Athletic League) Imagine a kids league run and coached my mean ass cops.... A breeding ground for goons... They just LOVED me lol........

"Interboro Roller Hockey League" Bay Ridge Brooklyn - the same thing! We had fights BEFORE the game in the stands and lockers! :shock:

I also played at Coney Island - Greater New York City Ice Hockey League. I stopped for a number of years and started up again in my early-mid 20s, at that time I wqs living in Montreal, really honed my skills there. By the time I was 28 I was playing real good caliber "Industral League" hockey in Saint Catharines Ontario. Kept it up for a few more years but never got any real satisfaction out of it. Decided to finish up flight lessons, something I started at 19. :rolleyes:

lesofprimus said:
at that time I was living in Montreal
Sorry to hear that...

Pretty cool to be on here with someone who went through the same crap as me......

Yea, I grew up in a real rough neighborhood. Tom Bolotti (the guy who got whacked with Paul Castalano by John Gotti) was the local neighborhood icon along with his brother Joe. 2 real bad guys, all the Italian kids wanted to be like them. It seemed that every household had at least 3 or 4 kids close to the same age so when we would play outside it wasn't uncommon to see 30 or 40 kids hanging out in one big gaggle. When we got confronted by other neighborhoods it seemed we looked like roaches coming out of the woodwork. Strength in numbers!

Local kids used to want to fight on a daily basis, I guess it was to maintain a status in a pecking order, so you either fought, backed down and be considered a punk, charmed your way out of things or made any antagonizer think that even if they beat you're ass they were still walking away with stitches on their face or part of their ear bit off. My brother, coming back from Viet Nam a bit off himself would tell me to just sneak up on the bullies and hit em with a baseball bat! That seemed to work because I found that after awhile no one wanted to F#uk with me anymore and eve the "tough guys" would solicit my help if there was a problem outside the neighborhood. Hockey helped me elevate away from all that BS and kept me in real good shape when I was in my teens.

Montreal was actually kind of fun - I played in a league on the East End of the city, I was the only "yank" there. Once I got acclimated with the style of play I did real good. I found that these guys would drop the gloves if they had an issue with you personally, for the most part they just wanted to play hard and win.

You might of told me but where on LI did you live? I had family in Brentwood and Farmingdale.

Smithtown... We really were outta control as kids... Everytime I see the movie The Outsiders, I think of the old days..... LOL... Thank God our kids arent like that anymore...

We had a bunch of Mob crap going on in my town as well.... It was everywhere as u know, especially in the Burbs.... Lennys Clambar in Smithtown was a big meeting place back in the early 80's... Then, someone got whacked, dont remember who, and the place closed down...

lesofprimus said:
Smithtown... We really were outta control as kids... Everytime I see the movie The Outsiders, I think of the old days..... LOL... Thank God our kids arent like that anymore...

We had a bunch of Mob crap going on in my town as well.... It was everywhere as u know, especially in the Burbs.... Lennys Clambar in Smithtown was a big meeting place back in the early 80's... Then, someone got whacked, dont remember who, and the place closed down...

It seems like we went through some of the same stuff. I left NY in 76, was 17 at the time. My folks wanted to get me out of there and my dad was getting deeper and deeper involved with his "goumbas," oweing favors and such. One day he said f#ck it! We were in LA 6 weeks later!

Yep - "The Outsiders," that sums it up!

I was 10 in 1976... Ur the same age as my cousin Joe... Our "group" tried to mimick his "group" in the way we handled ourselves, tryin to live up to their rep... Thats why we never used weaps and shiit... They always told us they were for pussies....

LOL I still got my denim AND leather jacket from back in the day..... Sad the things we hold sacred hehe...

lesofprimus said:
LOL I still got my denim AND leather jacket from back in the day..... Sad the things we hold sacred hehe...

LMFAO - I got my leather jacket too! All worn out on the elbows and small holes from various items ;) On occasion I'll pull it out. But yea, very sacred!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back