Does anyone have RAF ETO victory credits by squadron/aircraft in tabular form?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

drgondog

Major
Jun 28, 2006
Scurry, Texas
I am in the middle of a deep dive encompassing US/RAF fighter credits versus LW and nearly wrapped up ETO for 8th and 9th AF. Does anyone have an RAF breakdown similar to USAF 85 for official victory credits?

So far I can break down all US flown Spitfire, P-47, P-51 and P-38 daytime credits versus LW s/e, t/e day fighters in ETO.

Regards,
Bill

You can have a copy of my Mossie db if you like, though you'll probably have to re-jig it to match the structure of your own list. Has MTO and Far East claims scattered through, I"ll pull them out first if you want.

I don't know quite where you're going to find source material - Fighter Command War Diaries lists claims, however doesn't specify enemy aircraft type, nor location etc.

I think Frank Olynyk is your man on this, though it's his original reasearch.

Last edited:
All I can add is that one can find the total number of claims of at least most of the Commonwealth fighter sqns in Shore's and Williams' Aces High, not info on types etc but You might use the info asa check for completeness if you can find the specific info you are looking for somewhere.

Juha

There was an official RAF review of claims done some years after the war. Maybe try the Public Records Office or the Imperial War Museum or RAF Museum Hendon they might be able to help.

John Foreman's Fighter Command War Diaries are essential this, in a five volume collection of RAF ETO claims and losses through the war.

There are some inconsistencies in the book, and some mistakes in basic arithmetic, but overall its pretty solid.

There is also Norman Frank's three volume work on Fighter Command losses.

Guys - thanks. Frank is helping me out, I do have a complete file on 8th/9th AF Credits per HRC 85 format. I had forgotten Shores Aces High but dread entering the data myself. (thanks Juha and Milosh for jogging me on resources) -

Jabberwocky is any of John's work in an excel or Access format?

Mhuxt - I would be interested in the Mossie credits over the continent - are locations distinguished between UK versus Europe?

Thanks to all of you.

Bill, I also have the listings of every claim made by a Mosquito in the ETO, 1942 to 1945, as shown in Bowyer's 'Mosquitopanik'. Each entry has the info on crew, date, time , location and, where possible, the identity and codes of the target, along with crew details. If this is of use, PM me a e-mail address, and I'll scan and send it. Also got Aces High if you need me to refer to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back