**** DONE: 1/32 F4U-1A 17740 - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: Catch22
First name: Cory
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/32
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: F4U-1A
Aftermarket addons: BarracudaCast main wheels, Eduard/HGW fabric and PE belts, fündekals decals.

Subject: F4U-1A BuNo 17740 of VMF-214, December 1943 at Vella La Vella. Flown by Major Boyington among other pilots in the squadron, as they did not have assigned planes.

Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 9.14.05 PM.png

PDF for full profiles and more photos of the aircraft: http://www.fundekals.com/images/Corsair/usmc32/USMC_Inst_32 copy.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a few photos exist of this aircraft, and it was part of a photoshoot on December 27, 1943 where the St. Louis Cardinals exchanged ball caps for kills.

There are no known kills attached to this specific aircraft, and Joe Baugher says "17740 ran out of fuel and ditched adjacent to Melip Village, Malekula Island, unknown date.", so I have no idea what squadron it was with when it crashed.

I plan on making the model represent the aircraft as it was in the colour photograph. I chose it as it has non-standard markings, and appears to have had its left wing replaced, so it has a roundel on the top and the bottom of it.

487352F4U1A17740VMF21412431.jpg

Boyington740tradeflagkillsXcaps_zps4b790a05.jpg

F4U-1Corsair White 740 VMF214 Bougainville1943.jpg

Swashbucklers-and-Black-Sheep.jpg

VMF-214 CO Boyington's F4U-1A Torokina Strip Bougainville.jpg

w2_vmf214_squadron-officers.jpg

Thanks gents!

So as I start to putz on this a bit I've realized I lack some information. As some of you may know there was a window on the bottom of early Corsairs that the pilot could look down through. These were deleted during -1A production, but I have no idea when. This is an early -1A so there's a chance the window was placed on it. I can't find anything in my small library, so I'm wondering if someone else has something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back