**** DONE - 1/48 A6M2-N "Rufe" - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As you all know, I'm having a terrible time with the port wing float. I broke it off while washing the model, then broke it off again yesterday. I glued it last night, checked it this morning, pulled and tugged on it, and even sanded on it. While painting the model the compressor hose caught the float and snapped it off, again. What to do ? I'm in the middle of painting ! So I finished painting the prime coat, and even painted the float. In the morning I will glue the float on with super-glue, and if needed, touch up the paint by hand.

Ask me if I'm tic'd ?

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2268.JPG
    DSC_2268.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_2269.JPG
    DSC_2269.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 59
Nice work there Charles. I agree, it's better to leave the float off until any fiddly work and handling is completed. I think, if I ever do anything with floats, I'd leave them off until the last stage, masking any location points, and re-touching as needed later.

Charles, when you put the float on again a good trick is to reinforce the joint with a short piece of wire cut from a paper clip. Drill holes in both pieces a little bit bigger than the diameter of the clip, than put super glue and the piece of clip in one of the holes, then glue in the other hole and join together. Only takes a 1/4" piece of paper clip to give the joint strength. I've done this many times with broken landing gear legs.

The wire cut from a paper clip might be a little bit too thick for the float strut I'm afraid. I would suggest a piece of copper wire taken from any electric cable.

Just finished attaching the float back onto the port wing. I used T-bolt's suggestion, and drilled a #49 hole in both pieces. My wife has some smaller than normal paper clips, so I used a piece about 5 mm long and super glue. It's drying as we speak, and looks pretty good. I'll see what it needs in the morning.... filling or sanding or both. Planning on a final paint job Sunday or Monday.

Charles

Great idea Glenn, used it many times myself. I tend to agree with Terry as well, floats are similar to an olio leg and fitting them at the end is a better option. Even so, nice work Charles

Charles, when you put the float on again a good trick is to reinforce the joint with a short piece of wire cut from a paper clip. Drill holes in both pieces a little bit bigger than the diameter of the clip, than put super glue and the piece of clip in one of the holes, then glue in the other hole and join together. Only takes a 1/4" piece of paper clip to give the joint strength. I've done this many times with broken landing gear legs.
Me too!
Have you decided what paint scheme yet?
These are cool looking crates in any colors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back