**** DONE - 1/48 A6M2-N "Rufe" - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

so I'm not the only complete novice after all. Stealin' my thunder, Charles.....just kidding. it looks great BTW

You will be happy to know that this will probably be the first and last plastic scale model I will build. You would not believe the parts of the instructions that I missed ! No work today, other activities planned.

Charles

You will be happy to know that this will probably be the first and last plastic scale model I will build. You would not believe the parts of the instructions that I missed ! No work today, other activities planned.

Charles

If its a bit too complicated you should switch to 1/72 scale next time you join the gb, theres no reason to leave modeling because of a couple parts being missed, we've all had issues with parts, instructions, most modelers started at 1/72 then progressed to 1/48. I think that taking a 1/48 model for your first kit is a great big leap :) So you shouldn't put a end to your aircraft models just because of a few set backs, it looks great and you'll get better with practice.

For example I had this same issue with Guitar, I tried to leap in and do like Van Halen and Yu Grupa Stuff (its a band from the former Yugoslavia, very good, like Mediteranian ZZ top) Before learning the basics. So I approached it in a diffrent way and now I'm much better at it, the same for modeling :)

Not leaving modelling.... Just going back to balsa and tissue, where I belong. I've been building flying models for over 70 years, so I know what I am doing with balsa and tissue. With plastic scale I'm lost.

Charles

Your doing fine Charles. I can say that hand on heart....its looking very fine indeed.

As far as difficulties in plastic.....dont I know it. im more used to wood ship models. This build was my first foray into Photo Etched cockpits. Was a great experience, but there were parts on the sprue that with my eyesight I simply could not see, even with the most powerful magnifying glass at my disposal. I did not have any tool that could handle such fine parts, so in the finish, rather than wreck what I had done, I simply left those bits off.

Having said that, I have no idea how these guys do it. Ive been watching Waynes build with a great deal of interest. I dont know how he can put the bits together so perfectly. The cockpit details cant be muc bigger than what I was wrestling with, but unlike mine all the bits are there, without any obvious marks or imperfections. I cant tell you how that is possible, but it only makes me want to get better at it and have another go....

Looks good to me, I stand in awe of those of you that can get those "stick and tissue' contraptions to actually fly!
You are doing fine. 1/48 has been my choice for over 40 years, and now with eyesight failing, I'm starting to like 1/32!

I agree with Bruce Charles. My first one back is still not finished because of a boat load of problems I ran into, everytime I look at it sitting on the table I go into a small rage but it was a bad kit and I still don't have the talent to work around the problems with it, so it sits until I can fix it.

Ok, fellas.... ease up on the old man ! I am going to finish the Rufe, just won't do any more.

Took a step backwards today, to fix a minor oversight in the instructions. Somewhere around step 4 it said to put 20 grams of weight in the nose of the main float. Seems I overlooked this tiny item. So, today, I drilled a hole in the float, weighed out 20 grams of BB's, and poured super glue into a bottle top. Put the BB's in the bottle top, then into the hole. After I got half the BB's in the hole I poured some super glue into the hole. After I got all the BB's in the hole I let her sit for about an hour. (Why have I got super glue all over my thumb ?).

Now I've got a hole in the float ! Took some of the big pieces of the sprue and cut a shaved a few pieces to go into the hole. After this dries good I will sand it down, fill as necessary with putty, then pick up where I left off.

Need to get to the hobby shop and get some gray enamel for primer..... maybe tomorrow.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2263.JPG
    DSC_2263.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 55
Good on yer Charles, that weight thing can be a tricky issue and I think more than a few of us will have been where you have just been, many times.

Sanded the sprue plug down this morning, now have applied some putty to the area. After this dries I'll do some light sanding. Should be ready for the prime coat tomorrow.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2265.JPG
    DSC_2265.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back