**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers guys. Discovered a couple of things:

1) I'll need to add another cowl fastener as there was a third one hidden behind the supercharger intake.
2) My attempt at creating the nav light lenses with Testors Clear Parts Cement failed as the glue did not survive the sanding. Will need to try CA now.

Terry, still thinking about the Revi fix. I don't like the look of the clear reflector either as it seems too big. I'm keen to modify the Revi but it will be tricky.

Andy, for the nav lamps, especially the shape required, I find that covering the 'bulb', after painting, with a drop of PVA or Micro Kristal Kleer, on the tip of a cocktail stick, works fine. Apply the PVA/KK, and 'tease' it out to the required shape. It shouls then set and shrink back to form the curve of the lamp cover, drying clear.
Noticed that the REVI reflector screen has a curved top - most I've seen for the 'F' were just rectangular, and frame-less )apart from the mounting frame at the bottom.).

Yes, thanks Terry. I did not take my usual steps to make sure the Revi was accurate as I was kind of on a roll and took the Eduard offering for granted. However, I'm now convinced that I'll take this thing off and redo it, although I may chose to make the tinted glass in the retracted position. Do you know if it was the Revi C12c that was in the F?

Revi12c.gif

As to the nav lights, I'm loath to try that Terry as the lens is extremely small and my fear is that, despite the delicate treatment post painting, it will still need a bit of sanding to blend into the wing and that the pain work will be marred. In fact, it's so small that I ruled out using a piece of painted clear plastic as I could almost guarantee there was not enough glue surface to allow the thing to survive the shaping process. I'll try the CA and if that doesn't work, will try your suggestion.

Last edited:
No problem Andy. Far as I know, it was the C12 sight in the 'F', but I'd need to double check.
EDIT:- Checked, yes, C12/D.

Thanks T. The above pic is a 12c but the differences between it and the D are not very noticable. Here's a Watanabe drawing of the D.

Attachments

• 400px-ReviC12D.jpg
    400px-ReviC12D.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 79
Me too.
However I must admit that all looks very nice Andy.

Ripped out the gun sight ands redid it, this time with the corrected reflector lens and also the sunshade depoyed. Also added the power wire. Now, I gotta somehow get it back in place......

Attachments

• 120420 Site 2.jpg
    120420 Site 2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 81
  • 120420 Site 3.jpg
    120420 Site 3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 120420 Site.jpg
    120420 Site.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 86
Cheers guys. Got her glued back in but oddly, the CA glue fogged the windscreen a bit, despite my having dipped it in Future. The spot is small and there's yet an armoured windscreen to go over that so maybe it won't be too obvious. I'll be damned if I'm going to pull the whole thing out again, winscreen and all, to fix this little spot!

Started to mask the canopy so I can get some paint going. Thanks for following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back