**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks fellas. Today I dipped the clear parts into Future and while these was were drying, I attened to somne other work.

Few of my models get built without suffering mishaps. This time it was the prop assembly, shown in the last series of pics. Today while working on installing the cannon tube, I dropped the assembly and chipped the tip off one of the propeller blades. I've done this before to a resin prop and did not succeed in fixing it as the glue did not hold but today I managed the repair. The following pics show the piece of card I CA-glued to the broken tip and the end result, after sanding, blending, breaking it once again and finally getting it done with acceptable results. The macro lens shows that something happened here but the naked eye won't detect it.

120414 Prop1.jpg

120414 Prop2.jpg

This particular ICM casting seems to have been done with dirty molds as there was some very noticeable pitting along the port wing. The below pic shows the pits filled with primer and sanded over. This type of work registers little in terms of progress but is necessary ot get a clean model.

120414 Pits.jpg

Finally, the landing gear struts were also completed and the finished results are shown below. Two types of wire make up the brake lines, the silver one being stainless steel and the black one, simulating the rubber flex hose, being coated copper wire. The straps are made of aluminum tape which does a nice job of this type of detail.

120414 Gear.jpg

Once again, thanks for continuing to check out this build. Tomorrow I should get the yellow theatre markings on.

Great work on the prop repair Andy, and I like the gear legs. That pitting problem on the top wing surface has been mentioned in a couple of reviews, when the kit was released, although fortunately, my example was OK. I believe that kits released later didn't have the problem, but of course there's no way of knowing when a batch of kits was released.

Good stuff Andy.

...and it seems that the following wing pattern is a standard one for F and G series aircraft from the WNF batches, fuselage pattern differed slightly in the batches.

Attachments

• WNF Camo_0449.jpg
    WNF Camo_0449.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 160
Thanks very much guys and Wayne, a special thank-you for the follow-up on my WNF question. Now would the demarcations between the 74/75 be a soft or hard edge, do you know?

EDIT: Overlapped your post Wayne - thanks for the info.

Today's work was on various odds and ends:

Started on the nav lights by first notching the wingtips then adding clear sprue bulbs painted with red and green thinned for transparency. Once dry, Testors Clear Parts Cement will be build up over this area then sanded down and polished to make the lenses.

120415 Nav 1.jpg

120415 Nav 2.jpg

The cowl fasteners added with card before painting. The slots for these were drilled out so that they are open on the outside.

120415 Cowl.jpg

The windscreen dryfitted before trimming. There's a bit of work needed here to get this to fit properly. Note that the rear glazing has been installed.

120415 Windscreen.jpg

Before and after shots of the Revi sight follow. First, the kit part, followed by two shots of the finished piece with the reflector glass and mount added from the Eduard detail set.

120415 Site 1.jpg

120415 Site 2.jpg

120415 Site 3.jpg

Finally, before and after shots of the tires wherre there was a need to add the tread pattern, easily accomplished with a razor saw.

120415 Tires Before.jpg

120415 Tires After.jpg

Thanks once again everyone.

Nice stuff Andy!!I have to agree with Teryy on the cowl stiffners SWEEEET and it's those little things like the gunsight make a big impact in the finished product.I have most of mine(gunsight) from the Waldron kit for the 38 done. ;) Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back