**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: ICM
Model Type: Messerschmitt Bf109F-2
Aftermarket addons: Kagero decals, possibly resin prop blades, plenty of scratch built crap.

In my youth, I was obsessed with the 109 and dreamed of owning a real one some day. My earliest memory was of building a 1/72 scale 109E and, held in my hand at rakish angles and in full run, dogfighting it with my best friend who similarly swooped his Spitfire around my yard. In high school, I was the constant borrower of a library book containing 109 profiles and I drew a 3-view and isometric of one in my mechanical drafting class. Time has mellowed my obsession and realism has precluded ownership but my fondness for the 109 remains to this day albeit equalled by many other greats from WW2.

For this build, I will use the ICM 109F-2 kit which also contains parts for an F-4. I plan to have one of the engine cowls opened up to view the nice little DB601 provided with the kit. The kit prop blades look a bit pointy and I may chuck these and substitute resin or Hasegawa blades from a 109G.

Box Contents.jpg

The kit decals, which look beautiful on the sheet, will nevertheless be chucked into my decal files and instead I will use some Kagero ones to depict the below 109 flown by Mackie Steinhoff.

F4 Steinhoff.jpg

I have yet to finish off my 410 but it's getting close so I may launch into this one shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will follow this with interest, I have wondered what the ICM kits were like. And IMHO, Willy's one-o-nine is the finest aircraft of all time. An opinion I have held since I got my first one (Monogram 1/48 scale E) in the late 60's!

Thanks all. I have not yet located a picture of this particular aircraft. If anyone has one floating around and can post, that would be great!

Excellent choice Andy. Bf 109 is my favorite bird too. Looking forward to see your magic on this one.

Andy you are having a hard time with your addiction to Luft A/C of late :) I might have to mail you an adversary to fix that addiction.:lol:

You forget that I finished a P-40 while still working on the 410, but you're right, the next few will be allied.

Next build is Spitfire marks and I've already gor my project picked for that.

A 'Friedriech' is always nice. As for the build, I'm particulary interested in how you will go about putting on this kite's winter coat, on top of what I take will be the regular RLM74/75/76 camo of the day. Might be tempted to take out the exact same kit, albeit in a revell box, and give a winter camo a try as well.

I'm not reading it as having a winter coat Jelmer. Looks like just a very light scan of the profile actually. If someone finds pics of this rig (I have not found any) it should prove it out. I don't fully trust Kagero books 100% but the profile shown in the first post appears on the back of their JG 52 Vol II book and supposedly has this aircraft as Steinhoff's at 3 December 1941 while he was in the Stab II/JG52. In the same book, on page 51, there appears the below picture (whihc I got at Falkeins' website of supposedly an F-2 "White 1" also stated to belong to Steinhoff at the same airfield at the same time while he was Staka of 4/JG51.

steinhoff4jg52.jpg

I'm trying to find a chronology of Steinhoff's command around this time but it seems hard to find. Maybe someone here has more info.

Jelmer, although this one may not involve winter camo, I did do one for a Bf 110C a while back which you can see here with explanations on how I did it.

Found a bit more at LEMB re photo references:

• Bf109F-4/R1, 13144, STEINHOFF, Hptm. Johannes 'Macki', 178, , Stab II., JG52, schwarzes, << +, SK+MR*, shield badge, 51 abschu§balken on rudder, 08-May-42, Gr.Kdr. Photographed upon return to front., RK, EL, S., Ostfront, Barbas, II./JG52 p.95 photo; Barbas, IPMS-deutschland 7/8-1983, Super Aces of LW Part 2 p117 dwg, , -, F, , , [Looks to be my subject. Anyone have one of these references????]

•Bf109F-2, , STEINHOFF, Oblt. Johannes, 178, , 4., JG52, weiße, 1 +, , JG52 shield badge, 02-Dec-41, Stkp. Photographed after 50th victory., RK, EL, S., Ostfront, Prien, et al, Die Jagdfliegerverbände, VI.2, p.51 photo, , Fl.Pl. Klin, -, F [Appears to be the above pic]

I'm not reading it as having a winter coat Jelmer. Looks like just a very light scan of the profile actually.
Jelmer, although this one may not involve winter camo, I did do one for a Bf 110C a while back which you can see here with explanations on how I did it.

Ah, my bad :oops: . The bright scan + the date mentioned in the caption made me think it had some sort of raggedy make-shift winter camo to it... your 110 with winter camo thread looks to be a helpful guide as to how to achieve a winter camo though :thumbup: Certainly will keep it in mind when I get to it.

Last edited:
Andy, have a pic of your subject will send it to you, it was provided to me by a friend from a book, but I don't recall which...don't want to post the pic without proper source reference and credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back