**** DONE: 1/48 F-80c "Lio-do-bee "- Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I decided to try a new thing and use aluminium foil on the P-35, so where better to test than on a P-80?
Middle panel front starboard wing, center top of fuselage, and middle panel port wing.
foil tryout.jpg

Looks good, was it easy to do?
Yep, it's pretty much press a piece on, then cut out the lines. I have three scissors that I use, a normal one, a small straight one, and a small curved one. The foil has grain, and with the "flat side"/"shiny" side thing you can get four different effects. Then with a layer of thinned "Testors clear parts cement and window maker", (which is really just white glue thinned already) on the spot, place the panel on and work into place with fingers, shaped wooden dowel, Q-tip,...or whatever. You want an even coverage of the glue, naturally, and its better (and easy) to clean off excess glue than to have a piece with any air pockets. Aluminium foil is subject to the usual laws of physics, so it will do the "heat expand/cold contract" thing, making it ugly if there is anyway for it to move, so too it can be shaped into complex curves as found on the tip tanks, by "hammering" it out. I have a piece of "Sili-stone" counter top, glass flat but unscratchable, for the 'anvil' and two different hobby-knife handles (one flat, one rounded) for the "hammer".
That's pretty much everything I have found out about this process. I am extremely pleased with the results and I plan on just alternating the grain, "shiny" side only, on the P-35.

Thanks for the foil heads up Paul, still sounds a bit complicated to me but maybe one day…………sure looks good……………….and a good camo against the bench top!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the foil heads up Paul, still sounds a bit complicated to me but maybe one day…………sure looks good……………….and a good camo against the bench top!!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not, that is the very desk that i built my very first model at! (It was a Monogram F4B in 1/72nd scale.)
I have managed to keep it all these years, dragging it back and forth across the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back