**** DONE: 1/48 F-94B Starfire – Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Take it off................................................. TAKE IT ALL OFF..................
wrong forum, sorry!

Good stuff Glenn. Why is it that silver seems to be the only paint which gets all over our hands very easily ?!!
And don't blame me - it's Jan's fault !

This is looking better by the minute Glenn, looking forward to seeing the outcome of the silver shading as for the tin man hands, I started wearing disposable gloves a long time ago when spraying, saves having to try and get the paint off.

This is looking better by the minute Glenn, looking forward to seeing the outcome of the silver shading as for the tin man hands, I started wearing disposable gloves a long time ago when spraying, saves having to try and get the paint off.
I've got surgical gloves, but they always seem to rip apart so I haven't used them for a while. Guess I should go back to them.

I sprayed the tail tip white and the gun port panel MM Buffing Stainless Steel, then removed the masks. There was a little lifting of the first cote of silver on the underside of the wing, but nothing too serious.

P4248708.JPG
P4248709.JPG

Last edited:
Good panel action!
Bottom of that wing should touch-up easy, congrats on keeping most of it on! (I have had trouble that way)

Oh my Glenn that looks terrific.

From experience I've tended to steer away from using the blue tape directly on a painted surface due to it pulling the paint off. If masking I use only Tamiya directly onto the paint with old news paper filling the gaps, anchored down with strips of blue tape. Since adopting this method, fingers crossed, I've not had paint lifting problems.

Oh my Glenn that looks terrific.

From experience I've tended to steer away from using the blue tape directly on a painted surface due to it pulling the paint off. If masking I use only Tamiya directly onto the paint with old news paper filling the gaps, anchored down with strips of blue tape. Since adopting this method, fingers crossed, I've not had paint lifting problems.
Your right Vic, I should have used paper. That area where the paint lifted is one of the points that I held the model when spraying it so the tape was pressed on extra hard.. I should be able to touch it up fairly easily.

Looks great Glenn. Can you say again what paints you used?

When using even Tamiya tape, I remove some of the tackiness by pressing it onto my clothing before applying it to the model.

Both are Floquil Railroad Colors. The first shade is Old Silver, and the second Bright Silver. They are pretty tough paints. I've done many models with them with extensive masking and that's the first time I've had the paint lift. Maybe there was a little skin oil on the plastic that I missed cleaning off when I prepped it for the first cote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back