**** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MK.I - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents and yes it is largish, I keep knocking the thing off the stand. I didn't have this much problem with the Marauder or even the Catalina. While checking the below photo for the location of the serial nos. I also looked at the "Torpedo Sighting Bar". Is it there? It's quite prominent in other photos taken at the same angle as Wojtek's blowup below but for some reason I can't make it out.

Swordfish 838sqdn.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Thoughts?

Geo

Last edited:
OK.....using Aviaeology decals for the serial numbers. This is the first time I've used this brand. As is my wont, I apply one number at a time, wait for it to dry(about an hour) and apply the next. 5 hours later, I'm still waiting for the first to dry. I've managed to put down the "4388" on one side but I had to re-position them every time I put a new one down. Not fun with 4" scale numbers.

Geo

I know what you mean about applying individual numbers Geo - I spent an hour or two applying the '8 inch' serials to my Spitfire earlier this evening, even though they went on and settled down fairly quickly.
I don't know what to look for with the 'Torpedo sighting bar', but in the first photo, I don't see any torpedo crutches beneath the fuselage, so perhaps it was not fitted ?

Thanks Dr. Gnomey and Terry. Terry, I replaced the photos and added ones with arrows pointing to the sighting bars. After hours of fettering about one set of serials is done...

004.JPG

Geo

Ah, those things !
Yes, they appear to be there in that first photo - they look like cross braces between the cabane struts in the photo, due to the shadow, but the thinner, diagonal support bars can just be discerned.
Nice work on the serial numbers - one of the trickiest jobs around in decalling.

I agree the torpedo sight was there. If it would be removed from there the marked bars weren't seen in the pic.

Swordfish 838sqdn.jpg

Thanks Terry and Wojtek. After I read Terry's post I noticed what I believe is the shadow of what I believe is from the sight running down the fuselage. While trolling model sites to make sure I would position the sites as I think they should be, I noticed several of the models suffered from some degree of anhedral in the lower wings as well with no mention of this buy the builders.

Untitled.jpg

As can be seen, the lower wing is quite flat, something I also couldn't accomplish.

Geo

Looking good Geo.

Last time I had the problem with serial numbers being positioned individually, I sped up the drying time with a hair dryer. Worked. You might like to test on some spare decals from the same manufacturer first, but should be okay. Don't get too close though.

I try to avoid biplanes. Awful things to get the rigging right. Your doing a great job.

Cheers

Peter

I noticed several of the models suffered from some degree of anhedral in the lower wings as well with no mention of this buy the builders.

.... the lower wing is quite flat, something I also couldn't accomplish.

Geo

According to references the dihedral of the lower wings was 0° while the one for the top outher wings +3°.

Thanks guys. Apologies for not posting anything but after the wings not lining up properly I kinda lost enthusiasm. Plus I managed to knock a wire brace off. Also, moving the last of my kids out has taken up my time. Slowly getting back into it, doing some small things now, prop, bomb racks and finally some touch-ups. Hopefully have it finished early next week. In the meantime, I'm moving my model stash from under the basement stairs into a now unoccupied room which will become MY room. The A-10 box felt heavier than the norm so I opened it and found a diorama base that came with the kit.

001.JPG

Not suitable for all kits, but I'll use it to photograph appropriate models. I'm also going through the boxes of kits in various stages of being built as I am missing paint and tools.

Geo

She is looking very nice George and that stand you found looks good, what A-10 kit is it. Also hope you enjoy having your own hobby room or hanger as it is called in this house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back