**** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MK.I - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

surprised at the fit issue...

Though the tight fit of the strut was a pain, it sure helps with lining up the upper and lower wings. Just under half of the builds on the Modeling Madness site had problems with the P.E.. I'll see if I can widen the holes to fit the wire I have which is pretty close the the thickness of the P.E. parts.

Geo

Cross brace wires on the starboard wing, a bit of straightening is still required...

004.JPG

...not for the faint hearted; what I did was heat up a pin and then push it into the slots for the P.E., widening them slightly for the wire. The wings are thick enough that I didn't have to worry about the hot pin exiting through the opposite side. I'm going to try the long P.E. wires following a tip from another builder. Cut off the lower attachment point, glue the upper attachment point in place and then let gravity dictate where the lower attachment placing will be. The port wing will be easier as I haven't glued it together yet.

Geo

Geo

I don't follow, but those wire supports don't seem to be in proportion to me. here is a photo that shows some of the wing detail for the stringbag.

Hope you don't get too annoyed that a less skilled bottom dweller is trying to help....

Attachments

• Swordfish wing detail.jpg
    Swordfish wing detail.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 88
Thanks Peter and I agree Michael but its all I can find at the moment. If you look at the bottom of my sprue cutter, you can see the P.E. piece that was meant to go there, roughly the same size. When I find something smaller, all it will take is some wire cutters as the ones I put in aren't glued yet. I attached one of the long braces last night and let it set up. As can be seen in Michael's photo there is great depth to the wing, about 6-7mm in scale. Tamiya makes the P.E. attachment points less than a ½mm long.

Geo

You don't normally associate fit problems with Tamiya kits but obviously it happens. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction Geo!

Thanks gentlemen. Still working on my stretched sprue technique. This is just a portion of what I went through just to get the two small pieces I was satisfied with.

003.JPG

Geo

Here's where it sits. Still the same wing, three more pieces of P.E. to go. So far every piece has been too long. Notice how it is supposed to sit on the right, trimming needed.

002.JPG
003.JPG

Lots of touching up when this is done.

Geo

Slow and tedious work, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.
Is the Beurling in your new avatar ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back