>> **** DONE: 1/48 HARVARD MK.IV - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much for the effort Andy. I'm surprised that for an aircraft that is around in great numbers, there aren't a lot of great interior shots. I was checking a build on another site that had a link to "fantastic" interior shots but once again failed to bookmark. While I'm away from the bench for a week, a question about the interior colours. Pretty sure the innards were painted U.S. Interior Green but I have seen period colour photos that look a lot like Bronze Green, the caption stating the aircraft was a Harvard Mk.IV and not a T-6. So.....possible to be Bronze Green or is it just the way the photo was taken? I'm good for both paints

Well that I can help with. What was left of the Nanton Harvard IV cockpit did look like Bronze Green.

George, When you had the fuselage taped together if you were to test fit the rudder, you would see why it has to be shimmed. These photos will show you how I took care of that with 40 thousandths plastic.
100_1626.JPG
100_1628.JPG

If you get the Harvard, it will have the same problem as I have both kits in my stash and the Occidental molding was off by that much on the Harvard and the T-6.

Well that I can help with. What was left of the Nanton Harvard IV cockpit did look like Bronze Green.

That's great, Andy. I have Humbrols version of Bronze Green, #75 which I think is a very good match. I also found a Tamiya mix (info at home) which I wouldn't mind testing

George, When you had the fuselage taped together if you were to test fit the rudder, you would see why it has to be shimmed. These photos will show you how I took care of that with 40 thousandths plastic. View attachment 375267 View attachment 375268

Thanks for the heads up Larry, I'll test fit when I get home. I built the Luftwaffe version years ago but I can't remember any issues but that was back in the day when I didn't care what it looked like

Started painting the innards. Going with Andy's suggestion of Bronze Green, I briefly thought about using Humbrol 75 but I'm still not comfortable spraying enamel. The Tamiya mix I said I had turned out to be for U.S. Zinc Chromate Green. According to one site the thought was that Tamiya Olive Green XF-58 was a close match but its too light. The The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart site calls for J.N. Green XF-11 but the green was too dark. My solution was to mix the two together in equal amounts and I think I got pretty close. In the second photo I used flash and it lightened the colors, especially the sidewalls. Not sure why as they were sprayed at the same time.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Started painting the instrument panels as well. One more coat of white, paint over that with black and then scratch the raised parts to reveal the white.

c.jpg

Ive tried to understand why the innards needs to be so dark . Is that the colour your Canadian Harvards were finished? I always thought a much lighter cockpit green was the right colour. certainly seems to be the case for the related Wirraway.

The attached walk around for the wirraway contradicts what I just said. So much for what I dont know.....

I hope this helps in a general way at least

CAC Wirraway Walkaround.

Last edited:
I have found the info via the net...

" It should be noted that many Harvards have been repainted so the interior colors are everything from Bell Green to Dark Gull Grey. Factory fresh or in service Canadian made Harvards should be US interior green or Zinc Chromate green."

The site contains a couple of B&W pics of the cockpit interior for a couple of the plane versions.

North American Aviation T-6 Texan/SNJ Harvard Cockpits

Last edited:
Just did a bit more digging and found that the Harvard IV at the museum near me was built post war in Canada in 1952. It's definitely a dark green inside but I don't know at this point whether, or not, this was typical of wartime Harvards.

:thumbright:

The colour can be noticed here better ..

t6.jpg

Last edited:
Added some colour and a bit off weathering to the innards, not going to see much through all "glass". Spent some time searching to find out if the square on the right was a map case and it looks like it is. I'll add some colour to it before I button everything up

003.JPG

Good stuff Geo, and you're right, it's difficult to see much through the closed canopies, and it's virtually impossible to have them open with the correct 'sit', due to their thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back