**** DONE: 1/48 Hurricane MkIIc - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is great weathering has been magnificent you every step you take better is that of giving a wash in color ground gives another great point

Wonderful weathering Andy! Kudos for trying new techniques. That's one great thing about this place... learning new techniques! Oil-staining is a tricky beast and one that I've avoided due to its difficulty in maintaining scale fidelity. Have you come to any conclusions about using a pen to achieve your results?

Thanks again everyone.

Wonderful weathering Andy! Kudos for trying new techniques. That's one great thing about this place... learning new techniques! Oil-staining is a tricky beast and one that I've avoided due to its difficulty in maintaining scale fidelity. Have you come to any conclusions about using a pen to achieve your results?

I know what you mean. I tend to like my subjects grubby when there is solid evidence in reality and am trying to perfect oil stains as well. In this case, I tried to replicate the look seen in the pic in post 167. There is lots of fresh oil all over the place on that rig and the pen was a good tool for that. The ink has just the right amount of gloss too. As to how successfully I replicated the look, I gotta say I`m not 100% happy and might yet dick around with it. There`s a distinct difference to me between fresh oil and the soaked in old stuff that never gets cleaned off. The later was the look I went for on my Corsair and Hellcat and I`m a bit more happy with these:

14051801.jpg
100412 Drp tank.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Andy... I'm not quite sure what it is but the oil stains stand out to me. I think it might be the lack of "feathering"? They are essentially solid, hard-edged markings, which conveys a one time occurrence and not a repeated, random thing. Looking at the oil stains on your Corsair and Hellcat, the stains have a soft edge that help the effect blend in a little bit better. The pen markings also correspond to the pen width and that makes it stand out compared to the obviously finer airbrush and pastel wash effects.

I can't offer anything more concrete than that because I've never personally replicated oil stains successfully. I've tried the liquid pastel wash blasted backward using air from an airbrush... interesting effect but not too convincing.

My comments are very nit-picky and in no way meant to detract from what is obviously a great build!

Andy,

Great build thus far and nice work on the panel lines and dust effect using a matt coat with XF59. Got to try that one some time.

Oil stains can very tricky to achieve a realistic scale effect. Not aware of any tutorials out there that show it well.

Thanks all. Slowly working up to giving this one some attention again. You should see some progress this weekend.

So the verdict on the oil stains? Thumbs up or down? I personally think the ones on the spinner look realistic but the ones on the underside if the fuselage will need some work. Opinions please.

Have to agree and going and looking again at the stains on the underside looks like something blew?To strong a thinner look maybe would be more appropriate?Looking forward to the update.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I tried to dull the effect a little but was concerned that I would make it worse so I'm leaving it.

Attention has turned to the undercarriage. Seen below is a picture of one of the Hobbycraft landing gear struts in between two on the sprues of my unbuilt Italeri Hurricane. As you can see, the HC one is very basic and the various collars and straps on the main strut appear to be overdone.

14121401.jpg

Here are the HC parts after adding scratch-built details and the obligatory brake lines. The collars and straps were filed off and replaced with aluminum tape.

15013101.jpg

Here is the installed undercarriage after painting and applying a dust colour around the base,

15013105.jpg
15013106.jpg

I was also disappointed with the look of the HC wheel hubs. At left is the kit hub and at right is a separate hub supplied with the Italeri kit which supplies a 4 spoke and 3 spoke hub. I decided to steal the 4 spkoe one and modify my HC undercarriage.

15013102.jpg

The hub was carefully drilled out and the Italeri hub glued in.

15013103.jpg
15013104.jpg

The finished result, painted. Not totally happy with how this turned out but this is a brutal close-up showing every flaw.

15013107.jpg

The tail wheel also needed attention as Hobbycraft supplied the wrong style of shaft for this version. The Mark II had a sprung fork style wheel so I again scratch built the added bits:

15013108.jpg
15013109.jpg

That's it for now.

Thanks guys. The drilled out hub left a hole slightly off center (no surprise there) but I'll compensate by facing the ticker wall down so that when I flatten the tires, it won't be noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back