**** DONE: 1/48 JM-1 Marauder - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
User Name: fubar57
Name: George
Category: Advanced
Kit: Monogram
Accessories: Decals

The U.S. Navy and Marines operated trainer/target tug Marauders as the JM-1 (equivalent to the AT-23B/TB-26C). My subject is JM-1, Bu No 66759 of VJ-12 serving in the Pacific.

JM-1.jpg

b-26.JPG

*Thanks to Mike Smith of Martin B-26 Marauder Man information at B26.COM. for his kind permission to use the photo.

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Depending on the review you read, this is either a train wreck with lots of work or not too bad with a little bit of fiddling. I guess it depends on the release date. I couldn't find a date on the plastic but the decals were printed in '09. Good detail and very little flash so hopefully I lucked out.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

View attachment 289002
006.JPG

008.JPG

005.JPG

Sigh......once again I've chosen an awkward color to work with. First up, deal with the deleted armament and Future the windows as they have to be added immediately and I want to crazy glue them in to make sure they don't pop out with all the handling.

Geo

Last edited:
Nice one Geo. I built this kit a few years back, and there were no major problems - a couple of minor gaps needed filling though. There's plenty of scope for interior detailing, although not that much can bee seen.
Watch the nose weight - it needs lots, then lots more !
I stuffed the forward end of the radio compartment (out of view through the open door) with lead held in place with 'Plasticine', as well as the engine cowlings forward of the main gear, and anywhere else I could stuff it.This resulted in a heavy model, and I accidentally sheared one of the main gear axles, but I was able to drill and pin it with a length of paper clip.
There's a set of metal gear legs available, but it's about the price of the kit, or more !

Thanks Wojtek and thanks for the heads up Terry. Weight 'o plenty for this one. Fuselage clear parts are Futured and drying. To deal with the turret-less variant, I glued some strip on the inside and will lay some plastic card on top of this when dry.

019.JPG

I'm gluing the bomb bay doors closed which will allow for more weight and less build time. Of course, the doors are meant to be in the open position.

020.JPG
021.JPG

Geo

Good start Geo. Note that the weight needs to be as far forward as possible - in the fuselage, that means the radio compartment, immediately aft of the cockpit. Anything aft of the mid to forward section of the radio compartment is a no-go.
From memory, I think I also put lead under the cockpit floor, behind the nose wheel well.

Thanks Terry and Andy. I've since added another piece 2/3 the size to minimize the putty work and done the same with the right half. I'll do the putty work once the fuselage halves are joined. Not sure if this was the right way to go about this but I'm not yet up to the challenge of bending one piece of plastic to match the curve of the fuselage.

Geo

I have oft thought about making a mold for these Monogram bombers, Glass nose ones, to make lead cockpits and nose gear. It had to find places to fit the weight needed. Years ago I found shredded lead and lead strips at a Hobby Town USA in Georgia. The shredded lead can be pulled in and stuffed in small crevasses the lead sheets can be cut and fitted to the curved or flat insides. You may want to think about upgrading to metal landing gear with the amount of weight it will take. I did weight an balance on KC-135s when I was int he Air Force. All weight forward of the wing and the further forward the more good it will do. I like this build. I have a shot or two of the JM-1 in a book "Carrier Air War in Original WWII Color" pretty cool.

Thanks for the info Don. I had thought about the metal gear but the cost is quite a bit. One of the other options I'm looking at is to make it a ceiling dangler. I'll check the out the gear covers later.

Geo

Room is at a premium here so that's why all my multi-engines are hangers. I play in the mud at work so I might as well play with the mud at home.

001.JPG

Did a bit in the cockpit but nothing to show, maybe later tonight.

Geo

Coming along nicely Geo. The kit landing gear will take the weight, as it's actually quite sturdy, but if possible 'drill and pin' the main axles, as the plastic-moulded parts can break relatively easily, as I found out, and entirely my own fault.
Like you, I'd considered the metal landing gear, but in the UK, the price was actually more than the price of the kit !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back